Scaling borders for 11x17 sheets

You may not like this answer. I surely don't! In order to do what you want you need to reduce to 44% (in Page Setup). Don't ask me why. I have no idea. It's just what works. Of course that means that you have to put a big "DO NOT SCALE" sign on the prints, just to make sure no one make that mistake...

If you want 50% reductions you'll need to use 12 x 18 paper, which for some reason is (seemingly) impossible to get to work. For me it is because my plotter driver does not play well with that size. Go figure!

Peter Cipes

quote:

Originally posted by CipesDesign:

You may not like this answer. I surely don't! In order to do what you want you need to reduce to 44% (in Page Setup). Don't ask me why. I have no idea. It's just what works. Of course that means that you have to put a big "DO NOT SCALE" sign on the prints, just to make sure no one make that mistake...

If you want 50% reductions you'll need to use 12 x 18 paper, which for some reason is (seemingly) impossible to get to work. For me it is because my plotter driver does not play well with that size. Go figure!

Peter Cipes

quote:

Originally posted by CipesDesign:

Peter Cipes

This has nothing to do with VectorWorks. It's simple geometry.

11 is 46 percent of 24, and 17 is 47 percent of 36. The exact reduction factor you need to use depends on the printable areas of the printer or plotter you use for each size print, but obviously it's unlikely that it will ever work out to be exactly 50 percent, unless your 24x36 plotter has wide margins (i.e. proportionately small printable area), and your 11x17 printer has narrow margins.

Probably the only reason you think you can do it with AutoCad is that AutoCad lets you print at a reduced size without knowing the reduction factor. And noone is very surprised to get an AutoCad drawing that's not to scale, since AutoCad drafters often zoom in and out of unlocked viewports and forget to zoom back to the correct "xp" factor.

Note that some printers have an option you can select for narrower margins than usual, or even for "full bleed", which means no margin. If your 11x17 printer can do that, you might make it work.

Dear Jan15

I understand the geometry. I don't care about the scale of the border...only what is inside. Is there anyway to adjust the scale of the border only? That way, the entire border can fit on the 11x17 sheet. In Autocad I can do that. The border and the drawing in model space are independent. I don't seem to be able to modify the condoc border in anyway. Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "condoc border".

If you mean the grey "Print Border" that's always there in VectorWorks but can't be selected and edited, and which shows the limits of what's going to be printed, and which you can zoom to with the "Fit To Window" command: its size and shape is determined by the printer's margins and size and orientation of paper, in combination with the "Scaling" factor, all of which are specified in the "Print Setup" window. Its location can be changed by dragging with the "Move Page" tool.

If you mean any set of drawn objects (other than a Symbol), say maybe all the things you would draw in AutoCad's "Paperspace" or on an AutoCad 2000+ "Layout" tab, other than "Viewports", you can adjust the size of those objects by selecting them and using the "Scale Objects" command, or you can select all the objects and convert them into a Group (with the "Group" command) and then grab a corner of the Group and stretch it.

If it's a Symbol, or if it includes a Symbol, the Symbol won't change size using the above methods, but you can use the "Edit Symbol" command (or, in v10, just double-click on it) and once inside the Symbol use the re-sizing methods described above. Or, better still, you can change the Symbol into a Group with the "Convert to Group" command, and then re-size it as described above.

There's also the option to put it on a separate Layer and change the scale of that Layer only, in the "Layers Setup" window. That will work for Symbols too. I usually use a special Layer at 1:1 scale for my title block and border, which allows me to quickly check how big anything will be on the print-out by just going to that Layer and using the Dimension tools, and to draw a Rectangle outside the "Print Border" representing the edges of the paper, so I can see the exact composition of the print paper.

Or you can draw two borders (actually, just "Copy" the first one and "Paste In Place" and then "Scale Objects"), one for 24x36 and one for 11x17, and put them on different Layers or assign them to different Classes, and make a Sheet called "24x36" which shows only the first of those Layers or Classes, and another Sheet called "11x17" which shows only the second.

sfatelier,

Have you tried putting the border on it's own layer and then changing the scale of just that layer through the layer dialog? This should work.

[ 02-24-2004, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: markf ]