soft goods tool returns false length when corners are curved

grant_PD

Question

10 answers to this question

@grant_PD I'm seeing the same issue you are. The Soft Goods object on the right seems to be including the open edge of the source polyline when calculating the "Running Length", causing it to be way too large. However it's showing the "Perim" number correct at the very bottom of the OIP (perhaps that's what Rick and Kevin saw).

It seems that with a Soft Goods object, the moment you change any vertex to be curved it messes up the Running Length total. I'd consider it a bug for sure.

Edited by Andy Broomell

Sorry, it's a bug. What shows up in the label is vastly different. What matters is how it shows up on the label because that is what the contractor is going to point to on the drafted sheet.  What is says at the bottom of the OIP means nothing to me because that is not an option to display on a drafted sheet and therefore hand over to someone to execute the plan. The argument that it shows up correctly in the OIP would be the same as saying "the dimension displays incorrectly but shows up correctly in the OIP." 

Just updated to the latest SP.  It's the same. @RickR What are you seeing differently?  @Kevin McAllister?

soft goods info.JPG

36 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

Sorry, it's a bug. What shows up in the label is vastly different. What matters is how it shows up on the label because that is what the contractor is going to point to on the drafted sheet.  What is says at the bottom of the OIP means nothing to me because that is not an option to display on a drafted sheet and therefore hand over to someone to execute the plan. The argument that it shows up correctly in the OIP would be the same as saying "the dimension displays incorrectly but shows up correctly in the OIP." 

Just updated to the latest SP.  It's the same. @RickR What are you seeing differently?  @Kevin McAllister?

soft goods info.JPG

Hi Grant,

My apologies, I didn't realize you were referring to the label generated by the Softgoods tool. The label is not something I ever use so I was looking at the OIP values.

There is definitely a bug here. It affects the VW Softgoods tool and @C. Andrew Dunning's Softgoods 2 tool as well. Its directly related to using the "Simple 2D" checkbox. If you uncheck it the overall size value will be correct. (It may actually be a bug with how VW sees the perimeter of a polyline when some edges are hidden (eg. an open Polyline). I was able to get simple polylines to miscalculate the perimeter as well when I ungrouped the PIO and changed which edge was shown/hidden. It doesn't seem to affect Polygons, which your segmented version ungroups to.)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister