Working in Perspective...

more adjustments... note how the south wall shown above w/ concreted swale & drain have been cut back to swale to rip rap stone w/ no drain

so this is all being worked out in 3d

we have weekly goto meetings

everything is extremely clear & everyone gets what is going on

when done...this will be used to get the Engineers up to speed rather quickly  

5950f192100ba_RipRap.png.70ebec78a4a21e0676f35d609b275980.png

• Like 1

It's fun! Nice.

Those block symbols are perfect candidates for a 6 Master Snap Points. When editing the Symbol you place a 3d locus point (2d locus if it's 2d or hybrid) at the end of each of the axes and check Master Snap in the OIP.  Then turn on the Master Snap constraints (and turn off as many of the others as you can) and you're away in a hack. You wouldn't even need the alignment cages anymore.

(hold B for x-ray)

• Like 3

Oh, I see the difference now. Thank you! (It was aligning with the blue handles before so I didn't notice what was happening till added some objects further out).

59515e532304b_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_19_34PM.png.f97383acd802f9e61aef332acb7e2701.png

Mine is a purple color for some reason, though I remember Master Snaps being red previously. I didn't customize it, so I wonder if that changed in a SP?

I had also been wondering if it's intentional that the locus glyph no longer displays when the locus is defined as a Master Snap, but I suppose being able to control it via the aforementioned checkbox is a good solution. Plus you could add an additional normal locus in the same spot if you wanted to always "see" the Master Snap as a locus glyph.

9 hours ago, bcd said:

When editing the Symbol you place a 3d locus point (2d locus if it's 2d or hybrid) at the end of each of the axes and check Master Snap in the OIP.  Then turn on the Master Snap constraints (and turn off as many of the others as you can) and you're away in a hack.

This is a super interesting piece of information :). Where did you find it? I tried to find it in the Help but I'm not sure its there in any detail. It makes me want Master Snaps to have their own icon in the Snapping Palette. Any why are Loci only Master Snaps in symbols.....

Kevin

I think it was introduced with VW2017 - there was some reference to it in some of the marketing material but it sounded mysterious. I did notice the new option in the snapping palette and had to ferrit it out. Again those master snap options i when editing a symbol caught my eye. Very sleuthy, no? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

It makes me want Master Snaps to have their own icon in the Snapping Palette

I find they're most useful when other snaps are turned off. I would like a 'toggle to 'master snap set'' button instead. You could then snap to a very small set of snaps in addition to the master snap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's nice!  Some of that drag & rotate for sub assembly alignment/placement might be eliminated by applying the OIP>Replace Symbol function. I say "might" because this is most effective if the insertion points/rotation and directions of the various sub assemblies are defined to coincide with desired final outcome.

A slightly different work flow without the placeholder box might save some steps: Duplicate the Conc Base symbol definition in the Resource Manager & name it Combo. Combo is now a symbol containing the Conc Base symbol. Edit Combo's insertion point as needed for best placement workflow (this does not change Conc Base's insertion point). Combo will be used instead of the placeholder box. The blower symbol will be added into Combo later. Insert a bunch of Combo instances instead of the placeholder box. Place them in the scene to match the offset and rotation achieved at end of the video. (or place them at that target between the pipes, then edit the Combo Insertion Point to achieve the offset globally for all instances)

Now Edit the Combo symbol definition 3d elements to add the blower. In the Edit mode, select the conc base symbol and Duplicate in Place. In the OIP of the dupe, click Replace Symbol and choose the blower assy from the list. Depending on how the blower and conc base insertion points were defined, they could align without further offset or rotation.

If it's not too awkward to place a more complex symbol, maybe even skip whole the placeholder and Replace Symbol process and just insert a bunch of Combos with the conc base and blower already prepared.  But there is probably some other reason to use the placeholder workflow.

Anyway, I have been working with a lot of sub assembly symbols lately and find the Replace Symbol very helpful.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
avoiding other work
  • Like 1