Lighting Problems

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me, I'm getting desperate!

I'm trying to design a dimly lit room with spot lights. 

I have turned off the ambient light in lighting options but with all my lights in the render switched off I can still see the room, surely it should be pitch black? 

Am I missing something? This 'light' is completely ruining the effect of my spot lights and the ambiance of the room is non existent :( 

I would like to be able to see clearly where my spot lights are hitting, the rest of the room should be dimmer, like in the image of the real bar attached. 

Hope I've been clear enough, I'm awful at explaining. 

Thanks in advance from a very confused person! x

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 19.04.41.png

LOUNGE FInal 14.jpg

domus.jpg

I'm assuming when you say "all my lights in the render switched off" you mean they are on classes that are turned off? If so:

Vectorworks does this really confusing thing that when there are zero Light objects in the scene, there is automatically a default light illuminating the room, unrelated to the Ambient Light setting. My opinion is that this is poorly designed/explained, and that a user should have better control over this default light.

Regardless, the solution is to put in a dummy Light object and turn in Off in the OIP. Then the actual Ambient Light setting will kick in and you should be able to achieve true darkness.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

I'm assuming when you say "all my lights in the render switched off" you mean they are on classes that are turned off? If so:

Vectorworks does this really confusing thing that when there are zero Light objects in the scene, there is automatically a default light illuminating the room, unrelated to the Ambient Light setting. My opinion is that this is poorly designed/explained, and that a user should have better control over this default light.

Regardless, the solution is to put in a dummy Light object and turn in Off in the OIP. Then the actual Ambient Light setting will kick in and you should be able to achieve true darkness.

I haven't created classes, maybe I should? I just put them in separately one by one. Going to sound stupid, but don't ask, don't learn! what is a dummy light? 

6 minutes ago, stephslr04 said:

what is a dummy light? 

Oh, I just meant a normal Light that's not used for anything else. :)

But it sounds like what I described isn't what you're encountering, since it sounds like you're not hiding your lights by turning off a class. (Not something you HAVE to do, but I like to have the ability to hide my lights when working on modeling / not lighting).

Hmmm... Maybe attach the file and we can take a look?

28 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Oh, I just meant a normal Light that's not used for anything else. :)

But it sounds like what I described isn't what you're encountering, since it sounds like you're not hiding your lights by turning off a class. (Not something you HAVE to do, but I like to have the ability to hide my lights when working on modeling / not lighting).

Hmmm... Maybe attach the file and we can take a look?

hmmm, slowly giving up, ha 

The file is too large to attach :( 

Thanks for trying, it must be something, hopefully I'm not that bad at it! 

Here's a thorough troubleshooting checklist for achieving darkness:

-Using a Renderworks style, not OpenGL.

-Renderworks style has Ambient Lighting set to "0" (either under View<Lighting<Set Lighting Options, or by editing a custom Renderworks Style in the Resource Manager).

-Viewport is updated and actually displaying Renderworks results.

-Renderworks style has Environment Lighting set to None.

-At least one light object exists and isn't hidden.

-All Light objects are turned off (check Visualization palette).

-No textures are set to "Glow".

I can't think of anything else that would produce unwanted illumination?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Here's a thorough troubleshooting checklist for achieving darkness:

-Using a Renderworks style, not OpenGL.

-Renderworks style has Ambient Lighting set to "0" (either under View<Lighting<Set Lighting Options, or by editing a custom Renderworks Style in the Resource Manager).

-Viewport is updated and actually displaying Renderworks results.

-Renderworks style has Environment Lighting set to None.

-At least one light object exists and isn't hidden.

-All Light objects are turned off (check Visualization palette).

-No textures are set to "Glow".

I can't think of anything else that would produce unwanted illumination?

Thanks for the list, I found a lot of textures that had glow on! :D once turned off and a change of exposure on the camera it is now near enough perfect!

Thanks again!