Tested Ryzen 1800x and renderworks

onyhus

Hi,

I have tested a few computers rendering a large model, filesize 1 GB. My "Old" computer did it in 1:41, having i7-6700 @3,4 GHz, boost up to 4 GHz. Our new Ryzen computer, having a fabric clocked 1800X, did it in 1:38.

Not much extra speed on the render.

What I see is that the "symbols"part, prerender, and edge part of the render is not utilizing the processor at all, and it's just the pure rendering part where the processor goes full tilt. I think the i7 is par or maybe a bit faster than the Ryzen in single thread, so it seems most of what we at our company has thought of rendertime is not actually rendering but some kind of single threaded operation.

It seems like a i7-7700K overclocked would be a good bet for a faster CPU for rendering viewports for Vectorworks.

Does anyone who have a bit more knowledge on this?

OJ

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To clarify, are those measurements in minutes:seconds or hours:minutes? 

But yes, the Geometry phase of a rendering (Symbols, prerender and most of the phases before "render" and "indirect lighting" ) are still single core, and not much can be done to accelerate them for the time being.

18 hours ago, JimW said:

But yes, the Geometry phase of a rendering (Symbols, prerender and most of the phases before "render" and "indirect lighting" ) are still single core, and not much can be done to accelerate them for the time being.

With todays multicore/thread PC's, I'd really hope they're working on getting every aspect of this into multiple core support asap.