Hide show and isolate

RussU

Question

A nice feature I've been used to in 3ds max is a hide and show option.

basically you can just right click and hide selection. Then later you unhide all.

would be useful as a temporary simplification measure to aid workflow

also an isolate selection is good (basically a hide non selected)

at the moment i group the objects and then edit group, but it's one step further and can muck about with layers and classes if done carelessly.

would also be good in viewports too, especially hidden line ones where you could have show/hide/grey to emphasise certain elements

5 answers to this question

There was an earlier post about this and @Pat Stanford wrote a couple of short scripts that work well. I have changed the TRUE value to FALSE and it now hides all the objects that are not selected. I have made these into menu commands and added them to my object context menu and the SHOW ALL command to my document context menu. Works really well although you get some slightly weird behaviour within groups and symbols. Very useful though.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1

Brilliant!

I think I should go back to school and learn scripting all over again... I gave up because I learned Pascal first, then Actionscript in flash, and Actionscript 2, then ASP, then programming in Symbian, all of which are now more or less obsolete! Seemed everything I touched went to the wall...

But what @Pat Stanfordmanages to achieve with script really levers the power out of VW.

Thanks again @markddfor that!

Since you started with Pascal, you probably should get into scripting. Vectorscript is a Pascal based language. There is also a Python alternative if you want to learn something newer, but for long time (30+year) Pascal heads, Vectorscript is the easiest entry point.

You still need to learn how VS manipulates objects, but the basics are all the same.

• Like 1