Window to Window Style

Is there a way to convert a window you have created to a window style [similarly with a door]? The only way I seem to be able to create a new window style is by duplicating a window style from the resource browser unless I'm missing something.

As I'm still getting used to using window and door styles I often forget to set up a new style first and often want to turn a window I have already created into a window style to use across a project. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/16/2017 at 5:50 AM, whashisface said:

Is there a way to convert a window you have created to a window style [similarly with a door]? The only way I seem to be able to create a new window style is by duplicating a window style from the resource browser unless I'm missing something.

As I'm still getting used to using window and door styles I often forget to set up a new style first and often want to turn a window I have already created into a window style to use across a project. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

You can right-click on the Window or Door instance and choose the "New plug-in Style from Unstyled Plug-in" contextual command (or select the object and choose the same option in the "Style" popup in the Object Info palette). This will create a new Style with all parameters set to match the instance.  

• 3 years later...
On 6/18/2017 at 3:30 AM, Matt Panzer said:

You can right-click on the Window or Door instance and choose the "New plug-in Style from Unstyled Plug-in" contextual command (or select the object and choose the same option in the "Style" popup in the Object Info palette). This will create a new Style with all parameters set to match the instance.  

This is fine, but how do I set which parameters are locked into the style and which are variable. If I drop a door I've set up from Resource Browser into a wall, it appears as expected, but then I can take an existing unstyled door, apply the same style to it and nothing obvious happens.

How would I set the door up to use profile, height and form as set up, but allow width to be variable?

Guest Wes Gardner

@NickMac, check out this file...go to the Resource Browser and find the door style - right click and select Edit.  In the dialog, those items with the bent arrow are "locked up" in the style, those with an icon of a couple of slider controls are set up to be "by instance".  In this example you can see that WIDTH and HEIGHT are set up by instance so that once the door is placed in a wall in your file, you'll be able to adjust those parameters but NOT the parameters that at set "by Style".  Go to the "Leaf" tab and you'll see that things like the number of muntins is locked up in the style, so is the width of the Top rail and the L/R stile as I want those to be consistent throughout this project.  In the ID Tag, the label needs to be adjustable so that you can label doors separately, it's set up "by Instance". Clicking on one of those icons toggles it from "by Style" to "by Instance".  Try going back to the Resource Manager and setting parameters by either style or instance and then go to your file and check out the implications of your changes.

Let me know if you have difficulties.

Wes

Door Test.vwx

Guest Wes Gardner

@NickMac, yeah, go ahead and tear into that file and see what makes it tick...it's one of the training files from the two posts up at the top of this section "No Stories, No Problem" and "Model Set Up" - I'd recommend a quick read through No Stories, No Problem just for shucks and grins.

Good luck

Wes