Newcomer Needing Help...

I am brand new to VW and now taking over a job on Monday using it. I have had a few online tutorials and lessons but far from experienced. I will need to create and edit drawings for exhibitions tenders and designs. I am very nervous. Any advice that would help be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi I have been designing exhibitions for some 42 years if I can help or you get stuck just drop me a line and I'll do my best to help. Just remember your starting out in your new venture and as time goes on you will gain experience but don't be afraid to ask advice it's far better than struggling.  Good luck. It's a great career 

• Like 1

@CraftyCatHi sound like me a few years back, used Autocad, got a job on Thursday for a start in office using VW on the following Monday.

The process of drawing was the same, you just need to learn some of the basics, how to draw lines,shapes, how to dimension and hope to sit next to someone willing to answer your noob questions, like me I asked lots of questions and finally after a few days picked it up and became proficient at it.

will look for a few basic videos for you.

Good luck, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
38 minutes ago, Phil hunt said:

Sorry reading your post again you may have had experience with other software and you may already be an experienced designer so please forgive me if I have misconstrued your request

Hi Phil and Alan, Many thanks for support. I am an experienced graphic designer but not in CAD or VW and that is my worry. It is good to know I can ask questions.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@CraftyCatHi sound like me a few years back, used Autocad, got a job on Thursday for a start in office using VW on the following Monday.

The process of drawing was the same, you just need to learn some of the basics, how to draw lines,shapes, how to dimension and hope to sit next to someone willing to answer your noob questions, like me I asked lots of questions and finally after a few days picked it up and became proficient at it.

will look for a few basic videos for you.

Good luck, nothing ventured nothing gained.

@CraftyCatHi no problem nothing like the present to start. I would spend the time going over the video I posted and work through each one that is talked about. It's not a hard program, you just need common sense and the ability to focus as you go, write things down and practice. You will pick it up easily. Spend as much time , No all the time you have between now and when you start work to get up to speed. Become a glass half full person, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can and he puffed right over the hill. 

11 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@CraftyCatHi no problem nothing like the present to start. I would spend the time going over the video I posted and work through each one that is talked about. It's not a hard program, you just need common sense and the ability to focus as you go, write things down and practice. You will pick it up easily. Spend as much time , No all the time you have between now and when you start work to get up to speed. Become a glass half full person, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can and he puffed right over the hill. 

Thanks Alan, even though designer for years, new software like this can be overwhelming. I do not want the company to suffer due to weakened drawings by myself!

31 minutes ago, CraftyCat said:

Alan, I actually have nobody to ask questions and thats my worry as solo VW designer here. So anything to help me do the basics would be great. 

These forums are a good resource where you can ask questions.

My advice is embrace 3d entirely and let VW do all the drafting work for you through viewports and sheet layers. Build the 3d model first and then present it. Keep all your annotations and notes out of the design layers (3d space).

Try Sean O'Skea's tutorials. They're for theatre designers but its easily translatable to exhibits and events. https://www.youtube.com/user/seanposkea/playlists

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

hi just a quick question have you told your future employers that you have never designed in 3d !!!!!! or are you hoping to pick this up as you go......if you have told them see if they will put you on a 3day 1 to 1 course..this will not only be an advantage to you but your the company as you will start to earn them money a lot quicker than trying to pick this up looking at tutorials although i have to say the tutorials are very good...but nothing like sitting next to someone who knows the system

one you know the basics the rest will come with time and sifting through the multitude of youtube videos and all the great guys who are on this forum a lot who go out there ways to help people like yourself

like Kevin and Alan to name but a few

i have watched the Sean O'Skea's tutorials and this guy has so much energy in the way he presents.... it's enjoyable to......

Just now, CraftyCat said:

So I now have some spare time as quiet so as well as watching tutorials I want to create. Finding it difficult to control building tools like wall, windows etc. I draw it and view but kind of lost putting building together. Any advice here?

Also using 2014 version.

On 16/06/2017 at 3:19 PM, CraftyCat said:

Thanks Alan, even though designer for years, new software like this can be overwhelming. I do not want the company to suffer due to weakened drawings by myself!

Where in the world are you?

US, UK?

They're a friendly bunch here, so ask away. No question too daft.

• Like 1

@CraftyCatWell if you are drawing walls with height you are drawing in 3D anyway so put you windows and doors in with correct size and height and you will have part of your Elevations automatically by creating viewport Elevations to a sheet layer.

I try to draw as much as I can in 3D as it saved working over in a 2D plan or elevation. When you get down to the detail level you will revert to working over the model in 2D as there is a limit to the amount of detail you can do in 3D

Will point you to a few more videos that may assist. Specifically the use of Autohybrids. Objects that hav use in 2D and 3D.

@CraftyCat Understand the Autohybrid is critical to getting the most from a 3D model. Set it up correctly and you 3D model will go a long way to saving you time when producing your 2D plans and Elevations.

see one of my videos on the subject.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Yes, ask away. Every so often I have a brain freeze or something, and when I ask a question, it is amazing how often someone here answers within an hour.  I think you will find the VW user base as passionate for VW as any software program out there, and always willing to help.