Bas Vellekoop

Keeping track of changes in furniture design

6 posts in this topic

Sort of a newbie question after all these years working in VW :)

What is the best way to keep track of changes in drawings in generally and specifically for furniture design?

Like when you added an extra screw or something relatively small?

I looked into the issue manager and the revision data.

issue manager: works globally between all sheets, that's great. But editing/removing the info is on sheet by sheet basis if I`m correct?

revision block: works only on 1 sheets and is not shown on other sheets if I`m correct?

And is there a way to place something like a revision cloud with a connection to the revision block or issue manager. Sort of like the detail viewport so it has the revision number / issue number attached and shown and is editable and removeable when you click on it?

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

I do not, however I know I've heard of users doing something similar, I'll see what I can dig up.

I found what I had remembered, but it wasn't what you were looking for unfortunately. It was an immensely complex setup process, the user had basically made symbols with a custom record for every single nut and bolt, but this didn't track any changes automatically even with all the extra work, it was more about getting accurate reports and counts than tracking changes as they happened. I'll ask around to see if someone has a real solution for you.

What I do for my bill of materials is sort of the same: counting symbols with an attached record.

In the record is the info for material, price, size, colour etc.

Yesterday I stumbled upon the Detail Bubble Tool. Is that better then a worksheet that counts symbols?