SP4?

RussU

Question

Hi @JimW

Sorry to be a pain, I'm sure this has been asked before... Is there a SP4 in the pipeline to sort out a few of the remaining issues?

I know that we're coming towards the end of the 2017 product release cycle, so want to know if

Viewport crops going crazy

Structural members missing shapes

Viewports numbers and sheet numbers not updating properly

and others

are going to be fixed in 2017? or if they'll remain as permanant "features!"

We're planning our software strategy for the next few years and that would be useful to know!

Thanks

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, RussU said:

Sorry to be a pain, I'm sure this has been asked before... Is there a SP4 in the pipeline

Yes.

Going forward, most likely our schedule will match that of recent versions, with SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4 being released within the lifespan of a given version to address bugs. Generally, we reserve the SP5 slot (SP6 was unusual in 2016 and was to fix a specific problem that rendered the software unusable) for the final compatibility stretch, attempting to ensure that users could work with the older version for as long as possible.

However, as to the content of the service packs, I cannot say. Until the official release date the contents of SPs are subject to change without notice. 

Absolutely understand about the dates and comments.

Glad that there's a final couple of packs due, as there is a couple of silly issue which let VW down, while it excels in many other areas.

Interesting to know the internal strategy regarding service packs. Gives confidence that those without VSS will be able to continue to use the software.

One one last note, I read that there could be a monthly subscription being touted for VSS... Is this still in the pipeline? I think, just like the Adobe model sucess, this will help bring people on board, en masse.

Thank you Jim. Very helpful

5 hours ago, RussU said:

One one last note, I read that there could be a monthly subscription being touted for VSS... Is this still in the pipeline? I think, just like the Adobe model sucess, this will help bring people on board, en masse.

^^^^ I sincerely hope this is NOT true. If Vw were to consider switching solely to an Adobe / Autodesk subscription-only model, I would very seriously consider switching to other software.

Autodesk's switch to subscription-only pricing has not been going so well:

Autodesk Posts 5th Straight Quarterly Loss : Engineering.com

Edited by rDesign
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I want us to offer both. Honestly, multiple payment structures seems to me to be the way to go. We cater to industries and user types (One-man-shops, interns, freelancers, students, seasonal workers and regulars) with completely different needs and our pricing should reflect that.

17 hours ago, rDesign said:

^^^^ I sincerely hope this is NOT true. If Vw were to consider switching solely to an Adobe / Autodesk subscription-only model, I would very seriously consider switching to other software.

Autodesk's switch to subscription-only pricing has not been going so well:

Autodesk Posts 5th Straight Quarterly Loss : Engineering.com

I wasn't at all suggesting that that a perpetual licencing model should be dropped.... We all paid a lot of money to purchase the software initially, so I don't think that it would be possible to terminate the perpetual model for those who have bought it....

We currently have the option to use VSS to get the annual upgrade, or wait a year or two and pay for an upgrade path.... (VSS is cheaper in this respect, but some consider the differences between releases to not be worth the money. Some people use a version for 4 or 5 years, and then pay an upgrade lump)

All I was suggesting was that we have the annual £550+VAT VSS, or a monthly option for the same. We all have perpetual use of the software on our most recent release anyway.

I agree that the Autodesk model is highway robbery.

There's a piece of software called Qlab, which is used in the entertainment industry, that is very innovative with its purchase/rental options (Qlab Example). It allows for permanent licenses and for short term licenses, as well as adding different modules if you need them for a short term project.

The VW subscription model works well for my current needs but I could see renting a second license for an assistant for a few weeks. I could also see an advantage to being able to pay monthly rather than yearly. I guess an upgrade to new version could be considered a "rental" or "tryout" until you've paid through your subscription anniversary date. This would allow you to retain your old version, try a new version and opt out before the end of your subscription year.

Kevin

• Like 1