Shelving unit "back" panels have no thickness

line-weight

Question

If I create a closed shelving unit with the shelving unit tool, and tick the "back" box, a back panel is created but it has no thickness. This not only means that it is not correct in section but in openGL, because the "back" of the unit is against the wall it's on, the two planes are on top of each other and you get that highly distracting flicker/interference pattern when moving around the model. So I have to go around and add back panels manually.

The back panel needs to have a thickness which can be adjusted. Really it ought to be possible to adjust the thickness of the main cabinet and the shelves separately too.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

The simplest way around this is to move the shelf unit off the wall by a few mm.

Another solution is to turn the shelf unit into a symbol and include your own 3D extrude in the symbol for the back component.

I would also like to see the shelf unit made better.   Also all the other cabinetwork objects.

• Like 1

I find the shelf unit tool quite handy for working out initial arrangements /visualisations because it can automatically generate the shelves and so on, meaning it's very quick and easy to adjust sizes. Those workarounds unfortunately largely remove those benefits! Things being a couple of mm off tends to make things start to go wrong with snaps and getting stuff aligned and so on.

Agreed, there are problems with the other cabinetwork objects too.

Edited by line-weight