Road Placement

DB Landscape

I'm attempting to create a road in Landmark 9. According to the user's guide 4-5 I create a polyline. It shows an error message 'invalid selection' for everything but polylines composed of straight line segments. Any curves at all show this error message. I'm working on a Xeon based PC workstation with lots of RDRam. I'm trying to create these in 2D for a start and getting nowhere at creating a road.

Robert; I'm not certain what an 'arc smoothed vertex' is. Here's what I've tried: Make a polyline with corner vertex (straight line) to start, change to curved lines, change back to straight lines to finish. Result: error invalid selection. 2. Create a polyline with all straight lines segments, edit to add curves and eliminate all the corners. Result: error, invalid selection. 3. Create a polyline with all straight line segments. Result: works, but I cannot edit or modify the resulting roadway to turn it into curves. Result: frustration and shouting! I'm missing something in the instructions (which I've reviewed thoroughly a multitude of times. There seems to be a step missing in the manual. I get another window beforet the road is created that has fields to select road width, length, etc. So, it makes me wonder if there are other problems with the manual.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just make sure your "curves" are arc curves. By way of explanation, VectorWorks polylines support 4 kinds of vertices, point vertices, bezier-smoothed vertices, cubic-smoothed vertices, and arc-smoothed vertices. The arc-smoothed is the only one supported by roads. It is the fourth mode button on the mode bar when you're drawing a polyline, and the mode bar should say "Polyline by Arc Point". If you use arc points, the roadway should work fine.

SIde note-

If you have drawn a line using bezier curve or something that is not permitted for the road command, you can use the SMOOTHING commaned under the Edit menu. Select "Arc smoothing" and the vertices will be changed to arcs. This may distort the curve by doing this .. so it's a good idea to draw it with the arc mode to begin with.

It's handy too though, if using corver vertices for a general idea of the road. You can then convert those to arc vertices with the Smoothing command.

Saves alot of work sometimes.