sorting the wishlist by topic?

VClaiborne

Question

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Go to the Advanced Search:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/search/

Then, you can customize where you're looking and search for only the terms you want, by tag title or content. This one I customized to search the Wishlist, Topics only, for the term Door:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/search/&q=door&type=forums_topic&nodes=19&search_in=titles

If you click "More search options" underneath the search text, you can see the configuration and customize it:

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 5.29.36 PM.png

• Like 1

Speaking of tags - I like the idea but wonder if there any editorial oversight on these. I find myself tagging posts hopefully but I'm aware that it's an adhoc effort. Perhaps a menu of possible tags would be helpful or the presence of an editor who could amend imprecise tags and add additional ones where necessary. 

• Like 1
On 13/06/2017 at 10:01 PM, bcd said:

Speaking of tags - I like the idea but wonder if there any editorial oversight on these. I find myself tagging posts hopefully but I'm aware that it's an adhoc effort. Perhaps a menu of possible tags would be helpful or the presence of an editor who could amend imprecise tags and add additional ones where necessary. 

I agree, I would like there to be some editorial oversight, consistency and predictive tags. 

Tags have really been relegated to individual use for now. For instance the default search doesn't search tags.

But overseeing tags is a pretty big management task and the idea is that they should be flexible, having a pre-configured list would go against this principle.

So maybe the process could be:

1. Guidance on the use and creation of tags is written up. As one example, I think we should refer to official names like "wall tool" rather than "walls" when talking about the tool in VW, or "digital terrain model" rather than "site model". Another example would be to keep tags to a minimum, so for instance there's probably no point in using "vectorworks" or in using "double" + "triple"  when all you need is "glazing". Maybe the guidance would be different for each sub-forum, maybe not.
  2. People can create new tags or choose from a list of existing tags, that appear as a list when you start typing.
  3. Moderators would be able to edit tags after they're added to posts, working to the guidance. They would consolidate tags, remove tags, add tags. Basically keep the tag list on topic and within the guidance.
  4. With this in place then maybe tags could also be included in the default search.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2