MA export - Multi patch fixtures on different MA layers not supported.

Hi all,

First time encountering this problem.

I have no problems if I select the radio button options "All in Single Layer" and "Layer" under the Create MA Layers from dialogue box, ceteris paribus.

However, when choosing the radio button option "Position", I am presented with the pop up dialogue: "Multipatch fixtures on different MA Layers not supported. Export cancelled.", as seen in the MA export snapshot.png file.

What gives? And in any case, is it not supported on the MA Lighting side of things or from the Vectorworks end?

I am assuming the multi patch error is from my assignment of multiple fixtures to the same dimmer address. The weird thing is why this is only an error when selecting the "Layers" radio button option and not anything else.

Any ideas?

Gabriel

MA export snapshot.png

MA export snapshot 2.png

I'm not at my console right now, but can you have multi patched fixtures on different fixture layers in the console? I don't believe so.  If you are creating your fixture layers from Position, as shown in your dialog, it will then try to patch your multi-patched fixtures on different trusses to different fixture layers, which I don't think is possible inside the console.  That's why it works when you choose "All in one layer" or choose to define fixture layers by design layer, assuming all of your fixtures are on the same design layer.

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2017 at 9:22 PM, klinzey said:

We will pass on the information to MA, however it is best to report the issue directly to MA Lighting as Vectorworks does not develop this plugin.

Been really busy and away from the forum the past two months but I'm back.

Thanks Klinzey for passing the information to MA! Also great knowledge just to know the plugin development origin. 

Gabriel

On 20/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, SamIWas said:

I'm not at my console right now, but can you have multi patched fixtures on different fixture layers in the console? I don't believe so.  If you are creating your fixture layers from Position, as shown in your dialog, it will then try to patch your multi-patched fixtures on different trusses to different fixture layers, which I don't think is possible inside the console.  That's why it works when you choose "All in one layer" or choose to define fixture layers by design layer, assuming all of your fixtures are on the same design layer.

Indeed multi patched fixtures do have to exist on the same layer on the MA console. But let's cite an example channel (71) which is a pirouette with a scroller attached, rigged on truss C - it fulfils the criteria of it being a multi-patched fixture but it belongs to the truss C layer, both fixture and scroller, so it's not like the fixture is going onto one layer and the scroller a different one.

I'll find time to explore this same file but without all the scrollers attached just to see if your theory holds, but thanks for suggesting this as a possible problem.

Gabriel

On 8/12/2017 at 1:45 AM, Gabriel Chan said:

Indeed multi patched fixtures do have to exist on the same layer on the MA console. But let's cite an example channel (71) which is a pirouette with a scroller attached, rigged on truss C - it fulfils the criteria of it being a multi-patched fixture but it belongs to the truss C layer, both fixture and scroller, so it's not like the fixture is going onto one layer and the scroller a different one.

I'll find time to explore this same file but without all the scrollers attached just to see if your theory holds, but thanks for suggesting this as a possible problem.

Gabriel

Yeah, multi patched fixtures on the same layer shouldn't create an error.