Renderworks Cache Issues

Andy Broomell

Question

Lately I've been having all sorts of Renderworks cache issues, all the time.

From the issue where viewports render as black... to issues where Renderworks renders the same thing over and over despite changes being made to the model (OpenGL displays it fine).

This is preventing me from being able to do my job. I can't restart every five minutes...

Can issues like this be file-related? Or is there anything I can do about it? Is it a Vectorworks thing or something with my computer?

• Like 2

24 answers to this question

On 11.6.2017 at 9:02 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Lately I've been having all sorts of Renderworks cache issues, all the time.

From the issue where viewports render as black... to issues where Renderworks renders the same thing over and over despite changes being made to the model (OpenGL displays it fine).

This is preventing me from being able to do my job. I can't restart every five minutes...

Can issues like this be file-related? Or is there anything I can do about it? Is it a Vectorworks thing or something with my computer?

Could be file related, check for yourself,...opoen the vex-file with the notepad or editor..there is a lot of stuff that doesn't make any sense...of course, but the first line

shows you which version this file was created and which version this file is now handled. 

For example you are working with 2017 so the version is 22.0, so if it was created with something like 20.0(Vectorworks 2015) or earlier, the problem might be there.

Resetting your user folder also might help sometimes.

Is your graphic card driver up2date?

I deal with this daily and yes, is very frustrating. It does seem like the Renderworks cache is creating the problems. I can edit, make changes, then "custom render" and the old model pops up with none of the changes I've made present. I have found going into the custom Renderworks settings, changing that randomly, then trying again, can sometimes fix this..the key word here is "sometimes". Restarting often does the trick but I think we can all agree that's not exactly the solution anyone wants. 

Super frustrated right now. I'm running v2019-SP4 and my Renderworks renders are completely useless. At first I noticed that renders were including objects from disabled/invisible classes. As an experiment I deleted nearly everything in my drawing, closed the app, and reopened the file...only to discover that renders are including the deleted objects!

My frustration level doubled when I came here to find a solution, only to discover multiple threads reporting that this issue has existed--unsolved--for years.

I just spent $1600 this spring to upgrade to v2019...and for what? An app that is perpetually broken?

JuanP are you running SP4 - 2019 on a Mac with the latest operating system? 

I find that it doesn't happen right at the initial generation of a file, but a little while into working. Also, the problem is fixed but closing and re-opening so any file sent to you would likely have to be modified a few times before the problem would present itself. 

I can't send you any of my problematic working files as they're confidential... if I have some time I'll try to put together a model that you can use for troubleshooting. 

• Like 2
On 7/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, JuanP said:

unfortunately not. We still can't reproduce it. @Leif Dixon if you could provide us the file that will be super helpful or anybody else experiencing this issue. thanks

I haven't sent the file for evaluation because as of now the behavior has stopped. What's all the more frustrating is that there is no clear answer as to why... I didn't clear out any cache files (I don't even know where they are), reinstall the app or anything like that.

@archdaly reports that his problems were fixed by closing and re-opening the file, but in my case I could close/re-open the file and it would still have the errant behavior. Even a reboot would not solve it, with the app still rendering deleted items. This lasted for a few days.

Eventually this behavior stopped and I haven't been able to reproduce it. Right now things appear to be working correctly but I will send a file when the problem shows up again.

• Like 1

Just got this answer from tech support:

This was a larger issue previously, and can still occur on occasion.  Some of the recent updates have definitely helped with this, but it's still something we're trying to fix.  I'm sorry that you're running into this!

One way we can work around this is by deleting our Renderworks cache.  You can find this in the following location:

HD > Users > (User's Home Folder) > Library > Application Support > Vectorworks RMCache > rm2019

If you remove the 2019 folder from there (either deleting this or moving it to the desktop), and then restart Vectorworks, you should be able to re-render that rendering and see a change.

Please let me know if these issues persist after doing so.  Have a great evening!  🙂

I will try it, but as it still requires a software restart it's no better than what I've been doing. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, PVA - Jim said:

This bug, referenced in a few other threads here as well, has now been replicated simply and reliably in house. Fixing it has been given top priority by the rendering team.

So what happened to the “replicated simply abs reliably in house”?  I haven’t seen this problem in a while but it has shown back up in the past few days causing multiple restarts. So very frustrating. I’ll try the arbitrary resetting of Custom Renderworks settings. 

This is a first: objects from the last file I was working on, now closed, just ghosted into a render (design layer).

I got one good render, adjusted the dimmer on a few lights, and got this. The file that ghosted in had never been rendered other than open GL.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 3.35.01 PM.jpg

Edited by Nick Kargel
added info
Guest Alex Sagatov

@Nick Kargel I haven't seen it with closed files or OpenGL, but I have seen very similar results before and submitted (Reference: VB-159940).

This can occur with the following:

1) Open File A.

2) Update a Renderworks Viewport.

3) Open File B.

4) Begin a Renderworks rendering on the Design Layer.

5) Switch back to File A.

6) Autosave dialog appears and choose NO.

After doing this, I can end up with renderings appearing on top of each other. This might be a bad example, but this shows what I am talking about in a very simplistic example I just remade...

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.51.50 AM.png

As mentioned before, I have submitted my findings and it is being reviewed. It is possible my results and yours are the same thing and/or will be addressed together.

Do you by any chance recall an Autosave dialog that you would have selected NO to occur in your workflow when this occurred? If you find any further findings, let me know. I will keep an eye out for it on my end too.

I wanted to bump this issue, as per the discussion in the thread "Renderworks - Geometry not updating" 

My comments below in response  to Gustav Ader's post today  

I've had detailed conversations the last few weeks with my local reseller on this... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djya1rq4480fpmd/Video 13-10-20%2C 9 43 18 am.mov?dl=0

After much back & forth, including investigation of hardware including running a "Cinebench tool" to test my CPU capacity (for which i've been told "You certainly got a very high score")  ..

The answer I am once again told is that an update to VW2021 will fix it... 

While I wasn't holding my breath - VW2017, VW2018, VW2019 ( I still paid my annual fee but skipped the 2020 update because why bother ) it's f*@king disappointing to hear it's still happening... 

If it's more problematic than before ... I'm not gonna be happy a camper...

I'm a Mac user... I'm wondering what other Operating Systems others are running.. Is this exclusively Mac or a Windows issue too?

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.19.35 pm.png

On 10/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, thew said:

The answer I am once again told is that an update to VW2021 will fix it... 

While I wasn't holding my breath - VW2017, VW2018, VW2019 ( I still paid my annual fee but skipped the 2020 update because why bother ) it's f*@king disappointing to hear it's still happening... 

If it's more problematic than before ... I'm not gonna be happy a camper...

Earlier this year I had multiple emails back and forth with my VWX sales rep and his solution was "...you need to upgrade," even though there was no guarantee that the problem was actually fixed in the current release. Funny how the proposed solution always seems to involve a sales commission and yet the problem mysteriously continues to exist across multiple [annual] releases. 😡

My last upgrade (to v2019, which I'm still on) was meant to fix rendering issues...which it did not.

Recently my sales rep emailed me to tell me that I needed to upgrade soon because my current [2019] license would "...soon not be upgradeable."

Seriously? Is that really Nemetschek's new policy, that users have to upgrade to every version or else they get left out in the cold and have to buy a new full license?