sww1235

Structural Member and Framing member steel beam profile not selectable

Question

I am attempting to use the structural member tool to create steel beams and columns. When I attempt to select a shape using "select shape" with steel material selected, all the boxes are greyed out. I cannot select the shape, series or size, but I can enter a material. Currently the properties dialog box for the structural member is reporting that I currently have a Wide Flange W12x30 beam selected from AISC series but I have no way to change that. 

I have confirmed this issue in both an existing file and a new file. I have attached the new file and a screen shot of what I see.

I also checked through the resource browser and do not see any structural profiles that I could import that made a difference.

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 14.34.07.png

structural-member-test.vwx

5 answers to this question

It works for me so I'm wondering if you have an incomplete installation.

Get one of your fellow students to check the file.  

There's definitely some things amiss with the Structural Member tool right now - especially in Column insertion mode. Unfortunately it doesn't affect all users. I would suggest switching out of Column insertion mode and trying again. While I haven't seen your problem specifically I have experienced the zero height problem (thread found here) and yesterday I had an instance where I switched the structural shape and the preview didn't update to the new shape.

Kevin

On 6/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

There's definitely some things amiss with the Structural Member tool right now - especially in Column insertion mode. Unfortunately it doesn't affect all users. I would suggest switching out of Column insertion mode and trying again. While I haven't seen your problem specifically I have experienced the zero height problem (thread found here) and yesterday I had an instance where I switched the structural shape and the preview didn't update to the new shape.

Kevin

The issue is affecting me in multiple modes, not just column insertion mode.

On 6/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, mike m oz said:

It works for me so I'm wondering if you have an incomplete installation.

Get one of your fellow students to check the file.  

Unfortunately, I do not have any fellow students to check the file. I am an Electrical Engineering student learning Vectorworks on my own. I do lighting design and architectural concepts for fun in my spare time.

I have tried reinstalling vectorworks completely, as well as updated to SP4 that just came out. Does anyone know where those particular files are stored, and could they give me a directory listing to compare to?

It apparently was something in my user preferences, as I reset them after an email to tech support.