Structural Member and Framing member steel beam profile not selectable

sww1235

Question

I am attempting to use the structural member tool to create steel beams and columns. When I attempt to select a shape using "select shape" with steel material selected, all the boxes are greyed out. I cannot select the shape, series or size, but I can enter a material. Currently the properties dialog box for the structural member is reporting that I currently have a Wide Flange W12x30 beam selected from AISC series but I have no way to change that. 

I have confirmed this issue in both an existing file and a new file. I have attached the new file and a screen shot of what I see.

I also checked through the resource browser and do not see any structural profiles that I could import that made a difference.

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 14.34.07.png

structural-member-test.vwx

5 answers to this question

There's definitely some things amiss with the Structural Member tool right now - especially in Column insertion mode. Unfortunately it doesn't affect all users. I would suggest switching out of Column insertion mode and trying again. While I haven't seen your problem specifically I have experienced the zero height problem (thread found here) and yesterday I had an instance where I switched the structural shape and the preview didn't update to the new shape.

Kevin

On 6/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

There's definitely some things amiss with the Structural Member tool right now - especially in Column insertion mode. Unfortunately it doesn't affect all users. I would suggest switching out of Column insertion mode and trying again. While I haven't seen your problem specifically I have experienced the zero height problem (thread found here) and yesterday I had an instance where I switched the structural shape and the preview didn't update to the new shape.

Kevin

The issue is affecting me in multiple modes, not just column insertion mode.

On 6/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, mike m oz said:

It works for me so I'm wondering if you have an incomplete installation.

Get one of your fellow students to check the file.  

Unfortunately, I do not have any fellow students to check the file. I am an Electrical Engineering student learning Vectorworks on my own. I do lighting design and architectural concepts for fun in my spare time.

I have tried reinstalling vectorworks completely, as well as updated to SP4 that just came out. Does anyone know where those particular files are stored, and could they give me a directory listing to compare to?