eanz

Light beams of LED-fixtures

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

When creating live renderings, I often find myself having problems with beams of light. In LED-fixtures the light is really coming from all of the led-cells, but in Vectorworks beams starts from specific point inside the fixture. So, for example in Mac Aura or Clay Paky B-Eye, the beam does not seem to start from the lense, but from the center of it. Is there a way to fix this?

Sincere Thanks! 

Short answer: Renderworks can not handle more than one source for a light emission.  

Vision does have some freedom to do multiple sources, but Vision symbols need to be created a very specific way and have additional data files to work, not something the general user will be able to do.  heck, I still have trouble with making them.  I am hoping some day we will be able to make multiple source fixures in Vectorworks that will work in Renderworks.  

You could create a multi-circuit light fixture, but those are tricky and don't work correctly half the time, even the ones we have created in VW content are buggy and prone to frustrate more than sooth the problem.

Rob.

Essentially the individual led sources in a fixture create  a single beam. To help give the appearance of light emanating from across the whole LED array, I have started applying a glow texture to a "lens" in my symbols. This is classed separately and can be turned on or off as necessary. I'll try and post an example when I have a bit more time.

Contained in the light info record there is a field named "Lens". Currently this unused in all the symbols that I know of but clearly VW has some plan or other for that at some stage. Perhaps @Rob Bookscould enlighten us!

On 6/9/2017 at 5:35 PM, markdd said:

Essentially the individual led sources in a fixture create  a single beam. To help give the appearance of light emanating from across the whole LED array, I have started applying a glow texture to a "lens" in my symbols. This is classed separately and can be turned on or off as necessary. I'll try and post an example when I have a bit more time.

Contained in the light info record there is a field named "Lens". Currently this unused in all the symbols that I know of but clearly VW has some plan or other for that at some stage. Perhaps @Rob Bookscould enlighten us!

This is how we have created all of our in house symbols. Having the lens classed separately allows you to set your Spotlight preferences to allow for the lens to change color based on the color specified for the symbol. 

As to the OP, if you are producing still images for proposals you can completely ditch the Spotlight functionality and manually add multiple light sources to the symbol to approximate the desired look. It is critical that your light symbols use a texture for the body and lens that do no cast shadows so that you can place the light source INSIDE the symbol.  Lighting instruments in the Spotlight library use this type of texture. 

Currently, Renderworks is EXTREMELY limited in how you can display volumetric "beams of light". There is truly no usable control of this property. The only way to make the beam originate at the size of the aperture from which it is emenating is to either move the light source further back into the light (depending on camera orientation I have actually placed light sources well behind lighting fixtures) or use multiple light sources.  Also note that in it's current state, renderwork's lighting beams only originate from a pinpoint and the width of the beam determines the beam's apparent brightness. In other words, the beam starts off non-existent and then gets brighter as it gets wider which is precisely NOT how light behaves in the real world. 

I have been harping on this issue for years as we have lost all of that necessary volumetric control back in 2011 and have not had it since. 

I thought it might be best to post a set of images to detail the issue posed by eanz.  Attached are 5 figures that give you an idea of what I do as a workaround.  

aryton_fig1.png

aryton_fig2.png

aryton_fig3.png

aryton_fig4.png

aryton_fig5.png

On 6/9/2017 at 6:35 PM, markdd said:

A few years ago I began adding geometry and attaching the Parts Record with lens to it, it was hoped that we could internally default to doing lens flare or glow type effects with that but it has not come to pass on the programming side.  It has allowed users to have the geometry there to do it on their own at least.  maybe someday...

Rob.

This is one of the many reasons that I mostly stick to Cinema4D for this type of thing.  Much, much more control over lighting, and the ability to do exactly this.