EAP weirdness

Andy Broomell

Question

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

In the attached file, I changed the profile of the EAP from a 1/16" diameter circle to a 3/32" diameter circle, and this is what happened:

5939cbd3d51b6_ScreenShot2017-06-08at3_11_25PM.png.fb8a66767dbe0c42d60cde24ae52b840.png

Why is the profile suddenly not staying perpendicular to the path? I can't seem to fix it without slightly modifying my path or profile.

When will this tool be made more robust?

EAPweirdness.vwx

Andy,

Its trying to compensate so the geometry doesn't intersect at the tail end. The distance between the two straight parts of the path is exactly 3/32" (0.094"). If you make the diameter of your circle 0.093" it will work. Anything larger causes the compensation or failure of the EAP.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! That makes sense in regards to what was causing the issue, though the attempted solution seems odd. Normally when there are issues like that you just get:

5939e59414c3d_ScreenShot2017-06-08at5_02_02PM.png.72ba694a05631540d2316e56c49240fc.png

At the end of the day I guess I don't understand why the command can't handle creating a shape that intersects itself in the first place. I know this finickiness is just one of the tool's many issues, which have been documented on these boards... Crossing my fingers for an EAP revamp soon!

I'll make it work for now :)

42 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

At the end of the day I guess I don't understand why the command can't handle creating a shape that intersects itself in the first place. I know this finickiness is just one of the tool's many issues, which have been documented on these boards... Crossing my fingers for an EAP revamp soon!

I totally agree and probably have wish listed this in the past. I won't tell you that changing the diameter to 1/4" works just fine even though the two parts totally intersect :D

KM

5939f0a99197c_ScreenShot2017-06-08at5_49_26PM.png.35bd084b37d0b2097542b0a94df33e3a.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 2

Wow, Kevin - nice analysis and demo.

Funny thing about this is that if someone appealed to the board about how to make a shape similar to that "fail" (flattened or narrowed with lenticular section in the middle) we would probably have multiple posts with different iterations of lofts and solid subtractions and drapes and subD and . . . without ever actually getting an elegant solution!  Anyway, cool but unfortunate bug in the EAP.

-B

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Wow, Kevin - nice analysis and demo.

Funny thing about this is that if someone appealed to the board about how to make a shape similar to that "fail" (flattened or narrowed with lenticular section in the middle) we would probably have multiple posts with different iterations of lofts and solid subtractions and drapes and subD and . . . without ever actually getting an elegant solution!  Anyway, cool but unfortunate bug in the EAP.

-B

Thanks Benson. I was thinking the same thing - the error generates a pretty interesting shape....

Kevin

9 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Funny thing about this is that if someone appealed to the board about how to make a shape similar to that "fail" (flattened or narrowed with lenticular section in the middle) we would probably have multiple posts with different iterations of lofts and solid subtractions and drapes and subD and . . . without ever actually getting an elegant solution!

My thoughts exactly! When it gave me the weird shape I said to myself "What the hell? I couldn't create that if I tried!"