VW10 crashes constantly

I'm running VW 10 with downloaded upgrades to to v10.5 on a IBM think centre pc 2.6GHz w/256 MB ram & XP pro OS. The problem is this: the VW program crashes. The screen freezes, mouse pointer becomes hourglass and only returns to pointer over the program title bar. When the title bar application icon is clicked, "not responding" is displayed in parentheses next to the VW title.

This has been going on for a while (2 months).

I cannot identify a pattern or event that that causes the crash.

I cannot cause the program to crash.

I've worked with autosave on & off, no difference.

I've uninstalled & reloaded VW twice.

Help?!

JMS

I think I've tried everytjing

What are you doing when it freezes?

How long odo you wait until you quit the application when it freezes?

There are some operations that will take time and you may not notice anything happening on the screen - some solids operations and renderings.

It's important to keep track of what you are doing when you get the c++ run time error as that is a tell tale sign of what might be going wrong.

Are you usually running alot of applications or burning CDs while you get these problems?

>>What are you doing when it freezes?

Answer: The only events that have repeatedly caused the crash are file save or file close.

The app will crash in the middle of basic drawing tasks.

>>How long odo you wait until you quit the application when it freezes?

Answer: I have waited as long as 10 minutes (go get coffee).

>>There are some operations that will take time and you may not notice anything happening on the screen - some solids operations and renderings.

Answer: There is nothing going on in the background like rendering or 3d solid/shape modification.

>>It's important to keep track of what you are doing when you get the c++ run time error as that is a tell tale sign of what might be going wrong.

Answer: Having years of database debugging experience I understand the importance of error tracking. If I could tell you what events occur before each crash I would (see the first item re file save)

>>Are you usually running alot of applications or burning CDs while you get these problems?

Aanswer: I have resorted to only having one app (VW - since my primary function here is drafting) running at a time. If I check Email I save VW, close app, check mail and reopen VW. There is nothing as remotely demanding as CD burning going on since windows is still not a truely multi-tasking environment.

Thanks

JMS

Size = 3 meg to 25 meg

Saving to local hd only not file server

I have been able to to make it crash by opening a file and not saving upon exit. Other files are open when I do this.

My VW work flow is that I create new drawings from other VW & Autocad drawings. I work mostly form designer's drawings and create construction drawings. I frequently open (and close) other documents for reference and sone times cut/copy & paste.

Thanks

JMS

I'm running 10.5.1 on a much slower machine than yours with satisfactory performance, so obviously your processing power and memory are adaquete.

Are other processes running in the background? Any scheduling services for other programs, for example?

The only time I've had a VW crash (in my admittadly short experience) I believe was because I had some sort of data exploit that was found by Spybot and had been consuming signicant memory and CPU cycles. MAybe run Spybot or Ad Aware to check for malicious hidden ad programs.

Aside from something like that, I think the most common cause of graphic intensive program crashes I've come across are due to video card and associated driver bugs or bad RAM modules. What video card do you use? Did you add RAM to this machine? Is it possible to swap RAM with another machine to test it?

I'm new to VW but not crashing machines so I hope some of these suggestion get you pointed toward a solution.

Will Niccolls

Here is one of the error txt files I was able to capture when I forced the app to crash by opening 6 VW files and modifing them and then closing them and not saving changes

Error file name:

C:\DOCUME~1\JCD34~1.MIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2C.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Contents of file:

Website won't allow me to send the pasted test.

What types of applications do you have running in your systems tray?

How much RAM do you have?

Are you printing when you close VW or is a drawing in the process of rendering?

Do you have Norton or another anti-virus software running?

[ 02-13-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

What types of applications do you have running in your systems tray?

volume, graphics, mouse, McAfee virus scan AsAP, LAN status monitor, that's it!

How much RAM do you have?

256 meg

Are you printing when you close VW or is a drawing in the process of rendering?

NO!

Do you have Norton or another anti-virus software running?

McAfee virus scan AsAP

If you have onboard video it will share the system memory. 256MB isn't very much to begin with to run WindowsXP let alone an intesive program like VW .How much ram is the video chipset using? 512MB of ram will only cost about $80.

Go to the start menu, click run, type msconfig, click the startup tab, uncheck everything and see if the crashes still occure. This will disable things like automatic virus protection, but you can troubleshoot this way. If the computer is stable you can start adding back startup items and track which one was the cause. It's frustating to me so many programs think they need to start with windows and not give me a choice. I keep everything unchecked but my kensington trackball program on my workstation and everything works fine.

[ 02-13-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: raylibby ]

raylibby is right about "msconfig". Its wise to uncheck unneeded services and programs to keep them from starting.

In XP, also go to Control Panel|Administrative|Services and see if there are services starting that you don't need. Messenger is one that almost nobody should be running. Among others.

In Jim's case, it sounds like there is something very specific that's causing a crash, because he can recreate it at specific points, right? Especially on saves? What if there is a problem with his disk caching or reading or writing to RAM?

Is there a debuggable version of VW that he could download and install to capture the error trace?

What video card and driver? (Control Panel | System| Hardware| Device Manager | Display Adapter).

Will Niccolls

[ 02-16-2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Will Niccolls ]