Matt Overton

Templet Hatches (Red Resources)

Question

The hatch editing is to be kind gangly and hard to use. Still, it does allow some fairly complex hatches to be made by people with patience far exceeding mine.

Maybe that is the problem as 90% of the hatches we use are fair simple in set up and follow some basic patterns.  We need to adjust these all the time in many projects. i.e. Herringbone is always far harder to get right and breaks very quickly from the origin if not accurate. 

Could there be a simpler version of hatches that say can be built with a couple of simple settings? 

So all the standard tile patterns would just need us to set tile length and width and boom accurate hatch ready to use.

Maybe they could be driven by a Python script.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I agree that the Hatch interface is "gangly and hard to use." Have you tried using Tile fills instead? They function quite similarly but are exponentially easier to make since you just draw the geometry.

Here's a herringbone Tile I made in about 30 seconds:

TileFillExample.vwx

The only drawback I'm aware of (and a fairly major one) is that you can't use Tile fills as Surface Hatches for textures. Hence this request:

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think Tile fills are the solution as there are some reports that they don't consistently export to DWG.

The hatch interface has been complained about for over 15 years. This post from 2001 outlines one idea for how it *should* work:

Apparently some localized versions included a menu script that created hatches from any repetive linework:

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

No problem with tiles (other than issues noted) although I'm thinking an interface which is easier still and more procedural.

It's not just about making it easy It's also about making class or material definition something more expressive.  In that, a procedural hatches variables would be what is most important about that pattern and could form part of schedules.