Split long reports

Not a good way. :-)

I usually duplicate the worksheet and put a data range in the criteria of each (Field Value xxxx.xxxx is <= N for one and Field Value xxxx.xxxx is > N for the other) or split it up by floor or phase or some other useful criterion.

hth

Thanks much !

yes, Michaels way seems to be best. I'ts a bit like manually making page layouts...

Maybe some day VW will get delivered with a real database-reporting system, but I guess they have bigger problems to solve before ....

As described in the help file it seems it is theoretically possible to connect for example an access database to a vectorworks file and then do the data processing and reporting in the database ?

Has anyone here experience with ODBC connecting of  VW und using it that way ? Does this make sense ?

Edited by halfcouple

I've found placing a worksheet in a design layer and then creating SLVPs is much more of a headache than it's worth.

If any of the cells are set to wrap the height of the crop on the 1-50 and 51-100 become dynamic and you are forever adjusting the crops. And if you have any cell borders or the show grid preference is on, then getting the crop to land at a pleasing place with the cell lines is tricky and slow.

The first time I tried this I printed the worksheet to a PDF. Then imported that referenced to the sheet layer. I also wound up making little header text objects for the subpages. Then there was way too much time adjusting the position of everything. In the end I could update the PDF easily.

Multiple worksheets is far better!!!

• 3 years later...
On 6/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, michaelk said:

Not a good way. 🙂

I usually duplicate the worksheet and put a data range in the criteria of each (Field Value xxxx.xxxx is <= N for one and Field Value xxxx.xxxx is > N for the other) or split it up by floor or phase or some other useful criterion.

hth

Hello, I am trying to split my spreadsheet into two table.

not too sure about how to apply the field value for the worksheet.

where can i find the place to set the data range?

thanks

Right click on the row header for the database row.  It will be the row with the diamond to the left of the row number.  Choose Edit Criteria.

The next dialog box will show the list of criteria every object has to meet to be included in the database.  Click on More Choices.  Then set another criterion that will limit the number of items in the database.  Could be a layer or class or field value.

Then - in the resource manager - duplicate the worksheet.  In the duplicate worksheet change the new criterion to include the remainder of the original items and exclude the items included in the first database.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, michaelk said:

Right click on the row header for the database row.  It will be the row with the diamond to the left of the row number.  Choose Edit Criteria.

The next dialog box will show the list of criteria every object has to meet to be included in the database.  Click on More Choices.  Then set another criterion that will limit the number of items in the database.  Could be a layer or class or field value.

Then - in the resource manager - duplicate the worksheet.  In the duplicate worksheet change the new criterion to include the remainder of the original items and exclude the items included in the first database.

my work sheet is a spreadsheet.

dont have any data coming from the file.

can it still works?

thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 8.44.16 am.png

3 hours ago, michaelk said:

Even easier 🙂 

Duplicate the worksheet in the Resource Manager.  Name them something meaningful.

In one of them delete rows from the bottom.  In the other delete rows from the top.  Insert both into the drawing.

will it make it hard to edit the contents in the worksheet?

let's say we split it to worksheet -1 and worksheet -2 
but if i made some changes...

worksheet- 1 getting shorter and i have to copy and paste the text from worksheet -2 and delete things in worksheet - 2.... etc...
😔

• 2 years later...

One way I split a proposed Planting Schedule that is too long to fit on the sheet is to separate the worksheet into different categories:

-proposed trees (ornamental + shade),

-shrubs and perennials,

-ground covers,

-vines,

-sod.

I edit the worksheet criteria to have it look for the respective specific "MORE DATA - CATEGORY".

I did set up my plant symbols' style in different categories too for this classification method to work.

For Existing Tree Report, when the site has over 200 trees, the autogenerated tree report just is too long to fit on a 12 x 18 sheet to be legible (6 or 8-pt font). Unless there is a way for me to write a script in the worksheet cell to look for only tree NO. from (e.g. 1-50, 51-100, 101-150 ...), that could work in theory. For now, I just drop the tree report in the design layer and just create viewports and play with the scales to see which is legible.

1. The best option is probably to place the worksheet on a single design layer and them make cropped viewports to split it where you need to.  And yes you do need to review the viewports and adjust the crops every time you make changes to the worksheet. Or even to the drawing if you are using a database and add or subtract objects.