ArchiCAD to VectorWorks

On 6/7/2017 at 8:11 AM, Kendall Edwards said:

Thank you, sir. I didn't think so, but I wanted to be sure. I'm versed in ArchiCAD, but not VectorWorks. I'm considering changing my workflow to VectorWorks. In your opinion, would that be a wise decision?

It interesting you say that as I just had a sales guy in yesterday wanting to know if I was interested in swapping to ArchiCAD. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on why you want to move? Sorry, I can't however comment on what is best as I haven't done my research into ArchiCAD yet.

Honestly, it was just a flip of the coin. I downloaded ArchiCAD and VectorWorks simultaneously, and ArchiCAD won out, because it has a more streamlined interface. But, I took some courses on BIM, and while everyone else was using Revit, I chose to use ArchiCAD, and there were a lot of things you can do in Revit that can't be done in ArchiCAD, so I wanted to research VectorWorks. Revit is a little too "Fussy" for me!!!

I am a long-time user of Vectorworks (since version 8.5 released around 2000), and here are a few of my thoughts about Vectorworks-vs-ArchiCAD:

1) In comparison to the ArchiCAD 21 release video of the Stair tool, the Vectorworks Stair Tool is very limited in both functionality and ease-of-use.

With Vectorworks, you cannot graphically modify the Stair tool configuration by dragging control points on the screen, everything is controlled through dialog boxes. The dialog boxes of the Stair tool are confusing and frustrating as best; I often find myself fighting with the UI. Ultimately, the recommended Vw workflow with creating stairs is to use the Stair tool to get the design 'close enough' and then un-group the Stair and model the Stair directly (breaking the BIM functionality).

2) Vectorworks currently cannot have multiple model views on screen at a time (e.g., you cannot have live views of the plan and section on screen at the same).

My two cents.