Need a way to pull together materials used for renderings to show up in material callouts and schedules

grant_PD

Question

Or is that what BIM and all that is really all about?  I've got all of these textures that I use for renderings and drafts, and they are specific to real world materials. The real world materials have data (manufacturer, etc) and I really would like a way to have that information show up on a worksheet.  These are the materials in the model=these are the materials in the worksheet.  

Is that possible?  Already done?  If not, can we make it so?

6 answers to this question

I think I need more detail about what you want. If you just want the texture names, that is probably doable, but it will depend on the object types. Thinks like Walls, Door, Windows that internally contain multiple textures you can get the data fairly easily, but you will have to figure out how to get the information for the part you are interested in. For manually drawn objects, there is no built in way to get the texture, but a worksheet script could be written. For something like a group or a symbol, it will entirely depend on how it was created on how to get the information.

What are you really looking for?

I have a 3d model that has various parts to its structure. Nothing is built out of wall tool elements. Everything has a texture, and the texture corresponds to real world materials that are used for building: laminates, acrylics, paint colors. For all of these materials, there is manufacturer specific data that must go with the drawing. Example: "Stainless Steel Aluminum" is a laminate made by Chemetal and its item number is 796. These are record formats as far as I can see, and I suppose I could link a record format to an object, but I cannot link it to the texture, which is driving the record. 

This has bugged me for a long time, that there is no way to keep a database of materials that are common, their corresponding texture, and have a way to present them in drawings. 

Currently my textures are named something I can recognize: Chemetal 796 or Bleached Muslin. The texture data is stored in a record format that I assign to a material callout symbol, placed on the drawing. This allows me to make a global change if say, Chemetal 796 gets swapped to 720 or something.  But there is no connectivity to the texture, changing the material callout means also changing the texture. Can this be done by classes?  Can I assign a record format to a specific class?