Sloping a suspended ceiling grid

Hi there,

I am modelling a building with a curved roof and wish to make the suspended ceiling grid at a pitch so as not to lose so much height in the rooms by keeping it horizontal.

When I try to rotate the ceiling grid in 3D after setting the working plane I keep getting this message:

"Hybrid objects can only be rotated in a plane parallel to the active layer plane. Would you like the working plane set to the active layer plane."

If I select 'yes' then it swaps the rotate tool back to a flat plane and if i select 'no' then it quits the tool.

I am not sure how to proceed with this? I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks

As described in that error message, I don't believe the Ceiling Grid tool allows you to put it on a pitch / slope.

If you select the Ceiling Grid and convert it to a Group, then you can rotate the ceiling Grid as you describe *but* it will no longer show up correctly in both 2d & 3d and it will no longer be automatically adjusted by bounding Walls. You'll have to adjust everything manually.

On 07/06/2017 at 9:48 AM, Chad Hamilton HAarchs said:

For a similar problem, we used a roof face as the ceiling, set to the correct slope and 1-1/2 inches thick, and used the grid tool with a class to only show on 2d reflected ceiling plans.  We used a gridded surface texture on the ceiling/roof plane for rendered views.

Yes, and you can use a slight bump map to push the tiles up and show off the grid.

Really depends on how visible the grid will be.