Inaccurate site model cut and fill volumes

I'm creating a site modifier on a clean model showing c&F as nil before I start

The Modifier is set at a level 118000(mm) to form the base of a hard landscape area where existing levels vary between 118160 and 118020 - therefor it is all cut, yet the C&F data shows:

Cut 19.4 m3     Fill 36.8 m3    with a net fill of 17.5m3 which is nonsense.

The Modifier is set to Pad, Apply to Existing - though the data is the same if I change to Proposed

When I update the model the readings are different  C=21.2m3, F= 55.2 net fill=34m3

When I delete the Modifier the site model return to 0.00 C&F

any ideas?

Just some thoughts -

In the Site Model Settings, look at the min and max elevations (which segment of  vertical volume is displayed) to assure that the entire site model and modifiers are within the range , and look at the Datum elevation (elevation of the imaginary plane from which volumes are calculated). Perhaps the datum plane is too high or too low? There is a small discussion of how cut/fill volumes are calculated in the Vectorworks Help>Analyzing the Site Model.

Run the volume report command to see what volumes are making those numbers:

Not sure of your workspace (Landmark? Architect?). In Designer it is in the AEC menu>Terrain>Create Site Model Volume List

Try putting the pad in Proposed model to check if cut fill makes sense there.

Another test would be to make a simple, flat site model (eg 10m x 10m), place a Pad modifier, say 3mx3m at depth of 3m (total 9m3). Give it a near vertical grade limit, say 9.001m x 9.001m. Check the volumes with the Pad in either exist or proposed to see if it makes sense. Min Max and Datum elevations will affect things in these tests.

OK, Good luck!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
can't leave it alone