Elevations and depth of field

AlanW

Question

17 answers to this question

I would wholeheartedly welcome this wish-list item (ArchiCAD has had a similar function for awhile).

Here's a LINK to one of the previous wish-list requests for this ( from September 2015).

Unfortunately, unless it is already in there I don't think there is much chance of it being added to Vw2018 at this point, with the usual September release being ~3 months away. Perhaps in Vw2019?

• Like 1

It would be good if some classes could ignore the fade requirement.

I mean just look how much better that elevation would read if some of the lines didn't fade.

Namely building outline and maybe window outlines so we keep the mass but fade the detail.

Edit:

If they used decent pen variation in the sample image if might work ok as is.

Edited by Matt Overton
  • Like 2

Thinking Marionette again, if we use the criteria node to read the items distance away from another in the x or y direction and then use that to create the line thicknesses in the elevation. Post holiday task :)

Will need new node VS:SetLineAttributeData may be the one to set line based on data received.

Maybe someone can try this?

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks Alan. Can't say I came up with this technique. Pretty sure I got the idea off @CipesDesigna few years back. Here's an example of using it quite heavily to fade the left side of this elevation (it's 25 m behind the area to the right). I've also used a mask over the whole elevation to decrease saturation. We find the default saturation in RW too much, not just for the screen but especially printing. So while this might look a little bit too desaturated it prints perfectly.

This is a colour example but I've used this reasonably successfully with greyscale line drawings as well. The only problem is when you get site managers trying to printing on black and white only printers (in which case you have to rely on line thickness for depth of field), but they're increasingly hard to come by these days.

Still, I'd love to have this feature built it some way, as you describe. This technique is perfect and it needs to be manually adjusted each time model is changed.

example.jpg

And here it is without masks:

example2.jpg.c6decbd6539ae274089170f21cf7697b.jpg

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I knew I'd asked for this somewhere too:

Perhaps mistakenly, I thought that ^^^^ other thread ^^^^ was referring to the camera effect of "depth of field" which shows blurry out-of-focus objects via the camera f-stop (added in Vw2016).

What is being described in this current wish-list thread (perfectly illustrated by Christiaan's example), I believe is called "elevation depth cueing". (At least that's how Revit refers to it).

[I don't mean to sound pedantic, I just don't want the Vw engineers to read "depth of field" and think that they already added this feature in Vw2016].

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, yasamandavachi said:

Moving from Archicad to VW, and also having previous experience with Revit, I cannot believe this option does not exist already in VW 2023! Help me out please if I am wrong!

Nope not wrong. Not even on the roadmap. So maybe 2026.

Still workaround works well just a be manual. We don't even have 3D in annotations so you need management of it as well. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fake till you make it and its 2023, nothing is even hinting at this on the roadmap and items on the map are 2 to 4 years out so not going to happen soon. 

We have been adding planes of transparency between major building elements or buildings on site to reasonable effect on larger projects 

so....

Given we have 3D grids in a way now. 

Maybe we could add an option to create a plane of renderworks texture to each grid.

A slight haze transparency on each one would recede the drawing as it gets deeper off the view plane. Bigger buildings have more grids so it would be self managing.