User Defined Fields Understanding

Hi All,

I've started working on a new project, and am currently sorting out labels for my space objects which will form the rooms.

In a previous project, I used some of the 'User Defined Fields' (#1-10) found in the 'Space Settings' box (Select Space object --> Settings --> 'Additional Data' tab), in order to create specific fields relevant to that project, which could be used in the name labels and in schedules etc. I ended up naming and using 'User Defined Field' 1, 2, 3 and 10 in this project.

I had assumed that this information was stored in the file, and therefore when I started a new project, I could define new 'User Defined Field's relevelant to the new project. So I was surprised to see these same fields filled in as previous project.

Why is it done like this - Is there a good reason? This is likely to be problematic - Say someone else needs to work on my drawing files, i.e. a consultant, and they have different user defined fields set up. Surely this is confusing? Would it not work far better to have the names you give these files stored in the file you are working in??

Does anyone have a good way of dealing with this issue..?

Thanks!

A

Not sure exactly how the user defined fields were already populated, unless you brought in an object with records from your earlier project.  It seems like you could either -

1.  Select the space object(s) and clear the user defined fields in the OIP.

2.  Possibly more useful, define a record format with all the extra fields you need, named appropriately so users know what to expect, and attach the record format to each space object you place in the file.

Edited by Chad Hamilton HAarchs
  • Like 1

The UserFlds are part of the PlugIn Definition record for the object. There is no way for those fields to be used differently by different people in a single drawing. There are 10 of them and no more. They are not dynamically set for each different user or discipline.

It sounds like you would be better off using a Custom Record Format attached to the object for your information. That way each discipline could have its own record format and not have to worry about what anyone is using their format for. 

You can still access these fields in a schedule, but rather than using a formula of =door.usrfield1 you would use ='MyRecord'.'MyField' with the correct record and field names. You can mix and match between different records on the same database row.

• Like 1