Offset tool needs modifier keys

grant_PD

Question

I'm sure other tools need something similar, but I will point out the offset tool as an example.

the offset tool performs two related but different functions:

• The movement of an existing line or polyline to a new position
  • The creation  of a new object by offsetting and joining the original with it's new position.

Currently one switches between these two modes by opening a dialogue, checking a radio box, closing the radio box....

Significant time would be saved if there was a modifier key that could be held down eg. Hold down ctrl+shift when offsetting to enable creation, don't hold down anything to move. 

5 answers to this question

• Marionette Maven

Are you referring to the "Duplication" part of that dialog?

If so, you can toggle that option with the tool selected by tapping "i"

EDIT:

To expand upon this, the different set of buttons in the mode bar can be modified in this way by using the u, i, o, and p keys. Each cluster of icons will cycle through selection respectively by tapping those keys.

I know about toggling through the modifier options. But in this case, cycling through the options with the "I" key does not change whether or not you are closing open curves or not. That is achieved by pressing the "o" key, then checking the radio button, then closing. If you have multiple offsets, and then closed polys to make, toggling back and forth is not a simple thing to do:

1 hour ago, MarissaF said:

Are you referring to the "Duplication" part of that dialog?

If so, you can toggle that option with the tool selected by tapping "i"

EDIT:

To expand upon this, the different set of buttons in the mode bar can be modified in this way by using the u, i, o, and p keys. Each cluster of icons will cycle through selection respectively by tapping those keys.

Ugh. The keyboard modifier method is such a badly designed and implemented piece of UI. Why would you assign these to keys on the mouse hand side of the keyboard by default (yes, I know I can customize it). And its inconsistently implemented. The Move by Points tool is a particularly bad example as the "Preferences" dialog is completely redundant and sits in between options you would actually use. Both the retain mode and number of duplicates already appear in the mode bar. You can use the "p" key to jump into the number of duplicates but its so clunky. The 2d Chamfer tool is similar. For anything requiring a value (number of duplicates, fillet value etc.) I should just be able to tab into the floating datum bar and these variable should appear as the first few fields. There should also be a modifier that has the other mode bar options appear next to the cursor like the floating datum bar (Like Option-Tab) so I don't have to look away from the drawing. VW needs to hire some UI talent away from Maxon or Rhino.

Kevin

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Ugh. The keyboard modifier method is such a badly designed and implemented piece of UI.

I agree completely.

[OT - Depending on what I am trying to do, I can have three keys pressed at the same time (e.g., Copy, Constrain, and No Snaps). You have to have your hand in the right position to make it possible. And hope that they are all within reach].