paver edging help

I ask for help:  I've struggled for a long time trying to make a realistic 3D model and rendering of a landscape path (or area) that has brick pavers on the edges, like that shown in the attached photo.  Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to do it well ?

My main problem is that I can't figure out how to make the edge pavers be perpendicular to the edges for a curvy pathway.  I know I can use the hardscape tool, but that doesn't allow for a realistic rendering of the pavers using RW in 3D.  Using the "border-joint pattern" settings will yield a hatch that has perpendicular lines, but it is only a hatch and not intended to be "photo realistic".        I appreciate any help ... or  ....   just let me know that you don't think it is possible so I don't keep trying different things that ultimately don't work.

47_PIcturesNov201000.jpg

The basics:
If you need only generalized info, use the hardscape border settings, or Alan’s idea of a short wall. These methods are quick, but result in wedge shaped “pavers” rather than rectangular pavers separated by wedge shaped voids.

To really define or realistically represent these borders, one way is to model each paver in proper position/orientation. Fortunately, Duplicate Along Path (DAP) works with 2d or 3d paver symbols. If the rendered view is to receive shadows from other objects in the drawing, then the symbol(s) must be 3d, eg extrude, 3d poly, Shell, etc. Or, alternately, create the whole hardscape in 2d and make an image texture which can be applied to a site model or other surface.

Blow by blow:

• Create a symbol for each paver size/shape. Best realism is obtained if actual dimensions of the pavers are drawn, eg if the pavers have nubs for spacing, draw the nubs.
  • Create a duplicate symbol for each color in each size. Apply corresponding classes for color control via Viewport overrides.
  • Create a 2d arc for each curved segment of the border. The arc is radiused through the mid point of the paver course because DAP places center of object on the path. Arc radius needs to be long enough to avoid pavers overlapping drawing elements inside the border. Extend the arc each end to create extra pavers. Rotate the whole group around arc center or cut end pavers as needed.
  • DAP a symbol (result is all same color) with Tangent option enabled. To display color variation, select a few of the dupes and use the OIP Replace Symbol function to substitute different colored symbols into the arrangement.
  • Setting the distance for duplication is a bit of trial/error.  The pavers will overlap if distance is too small. If needed, delete or undo and DAP again with adjusted distance.
  • If border is serpentine, or volute, separate path arcs are required at each inflection. Proper DAP spacing is different for each path radius.

-B

CheneyHardscape.png

• Like 1

thanks for the help.   I found Alan's "wall technique" doesn't work for me because I am modeling an entire park and it is too laborious ... plus i can't seem to get the pavers to be the correct size (4x8) by manipulating the texture scale.

I guess I'll use Benson's "multiple symbol" approach.  To my surprise,  having thousands of individual brick symbols in the file does not seem to slow down the render times as much as I thought it would.  It might be the best method, but it still takes a lot of time, since it has to be done separately for each curve.

One additional question:  after I duplicate the brick symbol along the path, I send the bricks to the surface of my DTM.  However, each individual brick remains co-planar with the original ground (flat) plane.  Is there a way that the bricks could be slightly tilted so that each brick is sloped to match the grade of the DTM at the location where the brick is?       Most of the time this is not necessary, because the difference in the "sloped" plane is negligible, so my question is more theoretical than practical.

I don't think there is any way to send to surface resulting in 3D objects tilting to be flush with surface. Some ideas:

Can you extract an area from the site model and use that to section the array of pavers in one operation? Discard the stuff above the sectioning object. Or might need to shell the extracted surface then select all pavers and and solid subtract. If it won't work try several subtracts e.g. half of the pavers each time. 

Or 2d rectangles send flush. Problem with that is they distort/stretch to conform to surface. If grade is fairly flat the 2d array could work.

Or make an image texture from the top view of the 3D you already developed and apply to site model texture bed? It will have some distortion but maybe within acceptable range? 

Sorry this is all workarounds.

-B

@domer1322Marionette will do this for you, thinking about this last night and there are 2 networks that could be modified to suite. One stair one with the use if Doms CU node and the other the road camber network. Not near a computer for a few weeks so maybe someon may look at it for you. Possibly the stair one would be easiest to modify, just change the tapered tread to a poly the size you want..

Send to surface is also possible as this was done in the fence network where the poly sent to surface and the fence followed.

see how you go otherwise will have a look after 26 June when I am back.

With the road network change the symbol to a paver (thinking use a 3D paver) take out the camber angle part of the network then adjust the spacing of the symbol insert location.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Benson ... thanks for the ideas.

Alan:  this may disappoint you:  I'm retired and I'm doing this as a volunteer.  Thus, I didn't upgrade my VW and I'm using VW 2015.  Hence, I don't have Marionette and I don't know if I ever will.  Sorry I led you down a path that isn't useful (for me, anyway).

All: thanks for the help....   I've always had trouble manipulating a DTM and showing grades in 3D and this is a good learning experience.  My current technique is to get the DTM as close as possible, but it always has odd rendering of the grass and I also have trouble with texture beds.  Thus, I get the DTM as close as possible, then use a draped surface (with cut outs for the hardscapes or other objects) and produce a final rendering.  The draped surface always shows the grass or mulch much better than I can get with a DTM and texture beds.    

Domer1322 - Workaround for pavers on the Site Model. Might transfer OK to the Drape Surface, dunno. On a new layer, draw your paver array with 2d rectangles or 2d polys. Convert them all to 3d polygons. Or if you already have a 3d symbol array, paste a copy onto the new layer and deconstruct enough to get back to 3d poly rectangles on layer plane. Colors and classes will transfer from the originals.

Arrange/locate to site model layer plane in plan view. Select them all and Send to Surface. They will tilt to conform.  Render OGL and if necessary. Raise z (Move 3d) to get them all visible above the surface.  These view properly in Top views. Drawback is that file can get big with extra load from the myriad 3d paver objects. Still might be manageable.

Sorry, symbols don't tilt.

Wishes:

1. Control for tilt of objects sent to surface, similar to Align Plane, but for multiple objects onto Site Model or any other surface.

2. Send to Surface could work with any kind of object to any kind of surface (eg to a Drape, or NURBS, or Shell, or 3d Poly, etc).

Workaround City!

-B

PaverTop.png

PaverFlyover.png

PaverSymbols.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
digging deeper