Creating Schedules with linked text symbols

Daddiyo

I am trying to create a document that creates schedules that are updated as I input text into symbols. For example, I have already created an item code that represents key pieces of information: Substrate, Finish, and Finish #. I have linked this information to a record. So, an example symbol would read [MA-PT-001]. This represents [Masonry - Painted finish - Painted finish # 1]. I enter this info in the symbol's data field and the symbol updates automatically in the symbol, because I have linked the text in the symbol to that record. Okay, so that works fine. However, I also want the information to show up in a schedule that I have created on a design layer and every time I change that information I want it to update in both places–the symbol and the schedule. Is this something that can be done reliably? Can anyone direct me to tutorials for this?

This is what worksheets are designed to do. If you have the Vectorworks Essentials Tutorial manual (http://www.vectorworks.net/training/guides/Vectorworks-Essentials-Tutorial-Manual-8th-Edition) then the final chapter is all about worksheets. I have tutorials about worksheets, but they aren't free. 

Go to the Menu Bar.

Tools > Reports > Create Report....

Create a report list objects that use your record format. 

Choose the fields that you want to report. 

Thank you. I am almost there with this method, but am trying to make sure I am doing this as efficiently as I can, because I am setting up a template for a document that I hope will updatable and with the least amount of adjustment to the page layout once it is put into use. How can I correct a field that shows up as #NAME?

For updatable (not self updating) schedules, you need to use Database Rows in a Worksheet and a Record.Field formulas.

It sounds like you kind of already understand this, but I am going to start from scratch.

Create a new worksheet. Select a row in that worksheet (I personally always start at row 2 or 3 as I find I almost always want to go back and put a title before the database), and right click on the Row Header (i.e. 3 on the left edge). Change from a Spreadsheet Row to a Database Row by clicking on Database. Edit the criteria to get only the objects you are interested in (that could be another entire thread).

You will then see a sub-row (3.1, 3.2, etc.) for each object that meets the criteria. You can now enter formulas in the Database Header Row (3, not 3.1, etc.) to return data about the object. You can use either the built in functions (available from the Insert:Function menu item) or use a formula of ='Record'.'Field' where Record and Field are replaced by the correct record and field names.

If you get #NAME in a field, it means that the worksheet does not recognize the record or field names you have entered.  I recommend always using the single quotes around the Record Name and the Field Name. They are only required if there are spaces in the name, but it is just a good habit to get into to use them.

The worksheet/database will not update automatically every time you change the data on a symbol. You will have to manually force a Recalculation of the worksheet either from the Worksheet File:Recalculate menu item or by Right Clicking on the Worksheet Image in the drawing and choosing Recalculate. Worksheets do not automatically recalculate to prevent slowdowns due to multiple worksheets recalculating after ever operation in the drawing that could effect their data.

HTH. Write back if you need more information.

Hello again Pat,

When I try to delete a sub-row it seems to delete all sub-rows. See the screenshot attached. I don't want the highlighted sub-rows. I know how to select the item and then delete it, but is it possible to take a sub-row out of a report without losing all of the sub-rows?

Mark

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 3.02.28 PM.png

Okay,

I just deleted those objects, so, while I am interested in the answer to the previous question, I have some bigger questions.

Functionally/technically, what is the difference between a Report, a Schedule, and a Worksheet? 

Also, once I have created a report and adjusted it's features, such as column width, text alignment, visible rows, etc., can the content in this report be adjusted back and forth without the features/settings changing? On the flip side, if I want to hide a column for a particular purpose (but not delete it), can I do so?

When I try to go back into this report I can't find a way to hide a row without eliminating it.

Thank you,

Mark

2 hours ago, Daddiyo said:

Okay,

I just deleted those objects, so, while I am interested in the answer to the previous question, I have some bigger questions.

Functionally/technically, what is the difference between a Report, a Schedule, and a Worksheet? 

a worksheet I would say is an empty worksheet. A report and a  schedule are the same thing in my mind. so I would say that a worksheet is empty but a worksheet that has a database and it is a report or a schedule.

Also, once I have created a report and adjusted it's features, such as column width, text alignment, visible rows, etc., can the content in this report be adjusted back and forth without the features/settings changing? On the flip side, if I want to hide a column for a particular purpose (but not delete it), can I do so?

I do not know away to hide the column but not delete it.

however, you could create a copy of your report and delete the column from the copy.

When I try to go back into this report I can't find a way to hide a row without eliminating it.

Thank you,

Mark

You can't hide a row. However you can adjust your primary criteria (database row) to show only the ones you want. A different class, record, field content, etc. Whatever it is that makes you want to hide it can be the basis of the criteria.

Which also brings up that a worksheet can hold more than one database row. I.e. Windows of first floor, windows of second floor...

True, you cannot hide a row - only a column.

The other really useful feature of having multiple database headers is for Cabinet Schedules.  Since VW has separate parametric objects for Base Cabinet, Upper Cabinet, etc., the only way to get all the cabinets into one schedule is to have a database header row for each cabinet type.  But this works seamlessly - no way of knowing in the final schedule that there is more than one set of data.  Except of course that you cannot sort or summarize between separate database headers, which to me is not a problem. 

I have been trying to create different database header rows for different types of field records. (see attached) the correct number of spaces shows up for those items, but the cells are empty of information. What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 2.14.48 PM.png

Yes, it makes sense, now. 

Something else that has been happening that is mysterious to me is that I've gone to change one thing in a report and all my column and row sizes compress to a small and equal size. I loose all my cell size formatting.

It seems random.

If I have put a worksheet in a document and realize that I want to include a new row that has data from a different record, how do I do that without having to start over with a new report that has to be reformatted?

Edited by Daddiyo

For the correct answer, you are going to have to be far more specific in asking the question. Here are three guesses about what you want to do.

You have a building with a lot of windows but only one door. You want the door to show up in the Window Schedule.

A.  Tough Luck. There is not an easy way to do this.

B.  A possible work around if you don't need it to sort into the middle of the other database would be to create a separate database in the row immediately below the window database and set the formulas to show the data in the "same" columns.

C. Bite the bullet and do it the hard way.  Set the criteria to be objects with either Door or Window records.  The formula in each cell of the database header would be some version of =If(R='Door', Door.Field, Window.Field). This assumes that you don't have any objects that have both records attached. Otherwise you have to figure out a different way to discriminate between the data to be presented.

Or maybe you can Copy the Database and Paste it below and then edit the criteria and the formulas. I think that will keep the formatting, but I am not sure.

Pat has provided the correct answer - the short answer is that you can add database headers to any worksheet, and any new database header row can report bizarrely different information, if that's what you want.  I'm guessing that's not what you want. I assume you want to report related information that is separated into different record formats for some reason.  

My best example is Cabinet Schedule - using the Report menu, set up a report for Base Cabinets - you can select the fields you want to show up in your schedule from the dialog.    But you probably want to report upper cabinets and wall cabinets in the same schedule.  One way would be to set up a new , separate report, and post the reports (schedules) near each other on the drawing.  A better way would be to set up a new database header in your original Base Cabinet Schedule, using criteria that will find, for example, Upper Cabinets.  This will give you a way to report whatever makes sense to you in a single Worksheet / Schedule.

You could put Doors and Windows into a single schedule as Pat suggested - the worksheet format is very flexible in allowing different reporting in each database header.

On 5/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

a worksheet I would say is an empty worksheet. A report and a  schedule are the same thing in my mind. so I would say that a worksheet is empty but a worksheet that has a database and it is a report or a schedule.

I do not know away to hide the column but not delete it.

however, you could create a copy of your report and delete the column from the copy.

The way to hide a column but not delete it is to set the column width to 0 or some other very small number, which effectively hides the column.  This is a "hack", but works fine.  Once you're working at the "worksheet on drawing' level, this is reasonable and won't create problems down the road as different items are reported in the schedule/worksheet.  You need to document this in your office standards, so people will know what's going on when they are trying to read or edit info in this column and it's not appearing.  One way is to format "Schedule" (as in for the drawing presentation) and "Editing" versions of standard schedules, and keep these in your Office Standard resource folder.