Using an Extern Calculation Program

Hello Everyone,

Two years ago I made a calculation program which calculated price invoices - parts lists by use of PIO objects in Vectorworks. By the time I transported Vectorworks data to an external database system, the company ran out of money and I was dismissed (I worked there as an employee). I could not finish that interesting project and since 15 april 2002 the company did not succeed in finishing this project. So far for a little history.

During those two years I got a couple of questions from people using Vectorworks for such an external price calculation program. However the costs and time spend to design and finally create such a program are hugh.

Therefore I like to gather information if there is more intrest in such a calculation program so the development costs can be lowered over several users. I don't do this for the money but I have to earn my daily living. The main reason is that I want to finish this interesting project. I cannot take any code from the former project because this is not allowed. Therefore I decided to start from scratch to avoid copyright claims.

Those are the base specifications for the program :

1. You draw your preluminary designs or your technical drawings in VectorWorks.

2. You can select your objects, lines and other shapes by using PIO (Plug In Objects) who connect classes and records to your drawings.

3. When you are done, you click onto a transport script which exports your data in textfile format outside Vectorworks.

4. The price calculation program takes your exported VW textfile and store it into a database.

5. You can create pricelists, invoices, calculations and a partslist into this calculation program.

6. The calculation program keeps track of all your VW data. After succesfully imported the VW textfile, the VW file is deleted. It can make automatic backups from its databases and tables. The possibilities of this calculation program are only limited by our imagination and creativity.

7. The calculation program should be available both for Windows, Mac and Linux.

8. Every action which can be automaticly done by the computer should be done in this way.

9. The calculation program should easily adapt so it can be used by almost every Vectorworks user.

Do you have any idea, suggestions or something else to say which will make this calculation program usefull. Any ideas are welcome. Would you buy such a program for an affordable price?

I will base my decision if the project has a chance of success on the input I receive on this message board. Most programs I saw in this category where very expensive. When there is enough interest, I will create a shareware program who will do the calculation and data-management. It is the intention that this program can be used ranging from an architect to a signbuilding company.

I thank you very much for your time and I wish you a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

ClockWerX

Dessel

Belgium

Europe