Door location and (=GetSpaceNameForObj)

JMR

Hi,

I've found that the function ( =GetSpaceNameForObj ) is quite handy in schedules and worksheets. However, how does a door determine the space object it "belongs" to, when there are space objects on both sides of a wall?

If I have a straight wall with a space object on both sides and I insert a door into the wall, the door "chooses" one of the space objects, based on something I can't figure out.

If I manually move the border of one of the space objects away from the wall, the door object "notices" that only one space object is now adjacent to the door and the (=GetSpaceNameForObj) value changes to that one.

To sum up, the door object picks one of the two spaces adjacent to a wall, based on something. The end result is that some of the doors might appear as to belonging to "room 1" and some to "room 2", even though they all open to the same direction and are inserted into the same wall.

I remember that years ago when drawing with ADT the door object had a non-printing marker line that one could drag over a space object in order to assign the door to that particular space to avoid this issue. Is there some similar functionality in VW?

Edited by JMR
Clarified the explanation of the issue.
  • 1 year later...

I just tried to use this on an internal door schedule. It must have gone through some updates as now it will show the door as 'Room 1, Room 2' but it seemed to pick up space objects from other levels that the door object wasn't on. It also wouldn't pick up objects that were not at ground level, I had some servery roller doors up at 900 above floor level that would only get picked up if I put the sill down to zero.

It would be good if;

• you could specify if you want both rooms to be shown, or just the room that the door opens into
  • It doesn't pick up space objects on other layers to the object
  • If it would pick up object above the Z height of the space

to be fair I had to get my door schedule out so wasn't able to play around with it too much, it may be that all these things are achievable.

I can confirm that I got space names from other DL's as well when I tried this. The function seems to work well for symbols placed on layer plane, one has to check though that all space objects are at layer plane zero. If the z value deviates, the function returns nothing.

For doors I found the behavior too unpredictable, instead I use door tag annotation eg. 100-1, 100-2 where the 100 is the space number and the latter number is the door number in that particular space.

Now as  the international version door tag is extremely inflexible (wishlisted many times), the door tags end up awfully long.