Vectorworks Viewer 10.5.1 won't open

Hi everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. We have a Windows XP Professional with service pack 1 installed on a system that we've installed Vectorworks Viewer 10.5.1 and it will not open the viewer. The system does not generate any error messages in the system log, nor does it open the program or even give you the hourglass like it would be trying to open the program.

We've tried to uninstall, and reinstall the application after a fresh download was gotten off the website, and still it does the same thing. The computer opens all other applications fine, but when you go to open the viewer it just won't open the program. We've tried to right click on the viewer and select open, as well as double-clicking on the EXE and still it will not open.

Any help would be appreciated.

About the system: P4 - 512 RAM - 2.4 Ghz - WinXP Pro SP1 & all Windows updates have been applied - 80-gig hard drive

Michael

[Confused]

[ 02-05-2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: mtcronin ]

I just downloaded The 10.5.1 viewer from the website, installed it on an XP Pro computer and it launched fine.

Do you have the regular VW 10 application open when you are trying to open the Viewer?

If you do, close the VW application and then try to open the Viewer.

If that still doesn't work, try the following.

You may need to reset the viewer's registry entries.

Go to the Start menu and select Run.

Type in regedit and click ok.

Click + next to HKEY CURRENT USER

Click + next to Software

Click ON the "VECTORWORKS" folder.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard.

At the prompt click YES.

(If you don't get a prompt, make sure you are hitting the delete key)

Scroll down.

Click + Next to HKEY USERS

Click + next to the folder that has a really long number that doesn't end in CLASSES

Click + next to SOFTWARE

Click on the VECTORWORKS folder and hit the delete key.

Again, make sure you get a prompt and click yes at the prompt.

Restart the computer and launch the Viewer from the Viewer folder.

[ 02-05-2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Good morning Katie - thank you for your quick reply. I've gone through the registry like you described and none of these keys are present.

I did how ever make a mistake in my last post where the system I am working on is Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 with all updates applied. The other specs I show in the last past are still the same though.

I installed the viewer on another win2k pro box and it worked fine, but those registry keys are also not on that box as well.

Michael

You have to have those registry keys for the viewer to work.

It doesn't sound right that the viewer works on the other machine but you don't see those keys.

Are you positive it's the viewer on the other computer and not the full application?

The real VW is located in Nemetschek folder in Software under the aformentioned registry keys.

The Viewer is located in the VectorWorks folder in the registry.

Are you logged into the computer as an administrator?

Yep the user is logged on as an administrator with unbounded permissions to the computer to install applications at will. I've tried to open the viewer from the start menu, and by going into the Vectorworks folder and opening the viewer directly that way.

The test computer I was talking about in the above thread was another win2k pro box will all the same drivers and software, and the registry keys were not created on that machine either but the viewer worked fine.

[ 02-05-2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: mtcronin ]

When you go to launch the Viewer on the computer that isn't working, do you see a splash screen with the VW logo pop up, or just nothing happens?

Do you see the Viewer in Add/Remove programs?

Nothing happens, you don't get an hourglass, no splash screen, and nothing is logged in the event log as to show a problem. It would be as if you never clicked on it. Even right clicking on the file and selecting OPEN does nothing. However, other applications work fine like Word, Excel, Power Point, and so forth.

It is shown in Add/Remove programs, and we've tried to remove it a few times from there and its removed, but when we reinstall it the same problems happen. I even took it to the step of uninstalling and then deleting all references in the registry to C:\Program Files\Vectorworks *, and Nemacheck if any found.

It is as a file is missing or something that is required for the launch of the program. Do you know all the DLL files and OCX files are required to launch the application so I might make sure they are installed on the computer and properly registered in the registry.

Michael

[Confused][Confused][Confused]

This is definately a weird issue.

Obviously it's not the download since it works on other computers.

You might want to try to defrag or perform a disk cleanup.

There is something about the system that is out of whack.

Try to redownload it, if you haven't already.

[ 02-06-2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]