Custom Cabinets - best new addition to 2017?

With all the improvements in 2017, custom cabinets was not a likely choice for my favorite addition to VW - but after building my first kitchen yesterday - I now think it worthy to be considered for the prize.  I had been resisting putting in a dummy kitchen into the model - instead just using auto-hybrid extrudes because the base cab tool was such a pain - you had to measures the space - do the division then make each unit separately.  Lord help you if you wanted to grow or shrink the over all by 6 or 12 inches.

Then I remembered the custom cab tool.  It is such a joy.  I could spit out a dummy kitchen in a couple of minutes - quickly try different options. Easy to use, with a surprising amount of customizations, it is exactly what it needs to be.

Obviously, the Custom Cabinets candidacy is helped by the stumbling of other more prominent contenders like Revit Import and Cinema 4D Texture Import which turned out not to be ready for prime time.  While interior elevations and slab drainage are still the front runners, I think its time that this dark horse gets its due, and is at least considered for the honor.  59283aff42a74_KitchenRender.jpg.1791e3885907de0f772ca7325f3e67f2.jpg

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Beautiful illustration! Could you tell us about your workflow for creating that?

Thanks.

It is a new firm rendering 'style' I am trying out.

It starts with an Open GL or Fast Renderworks rendering.

Then its is brought into Photoshop for some filters.  I usually combine the original render with a watercolor layer and a sketch layer.  The results vary quite a bit and I am still tweaking the process.  Here is an exterior render of the same project.  

592841ac7f9c4_TriplewideComposit-Recovered.jpg.7c62d0b76a7263b31399fa8e488a5e86.jpg

You can see this is quite dark and moody.  So I have not mastered consistency yet.  This is about a 4 minute render with about 15 minutes of post processing in photoshop.  The results to effort ratio are quite favorable.  I am still learning what variables in the rendering lend themselves best to the filters.  So far - I think I have found that the more detail the better - flat featureless surfaces do not lend themselves to the post processing as well. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Awesome! Thanks!

Is the sketch layer drawn in manually with something like a Wacom tablet? Or do you have existing sketchy images that you're bringing in and overlaying?

Nothing is hand drawn.

I use a sketch action in photoshop combined with a sketch brush if needed. 

Maybe I will introduce some true hand elements once I get my surface clone one of these days.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Not sure if this is something you're able to or want to share, but if so I wouldn't mind playing around with it!

Sure.

My favorite and the one used for that exterior render is 'Typography Sketch Photoshop Action' purchased from Graphic River.