HELP Kensington Expert Mouse Users

Gtown

Question

Up until yesterday I was able to hold down my bottom buttons and move the track ball to zoom in and out.  Suddenly this function was not working anymore.  After two unsuccessful and frustrating calls to Kensington Tech Support I thought Id reach out on here to see if any VectorWorks/Kensington users are able to help.  I have updated my trackball works software, uninstalled and reinstalled, also called VectorWorks tech support which confirmed it was not a VectorWorks issue.  

14 answers to this question

Hello Gtown,

First of all you should note the OS and VW versions you are using in your signature... (find the drop down menu under your name in the upper right corner and select settings to add this info tour signature)... essential information in many cases 9_9.

I too have upon occasion experienced odd behavior with my Expert Mouse forgetting specific actions I assigned to particular keys. To no rhyme or reason that I have been able to determine. The  only reliable solution I have been able to find is to restart the computer. Hasn't happened often enough to warrant further investigation for me. I use TrackballWorks version 1.2.1 and is true for my work and home machines which run OS 10.10.5 and 10.11 respectively.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Edited by RGyori
grammar!
  • Like 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the profile suggestions and replying to my post.  I will have to spend a little time familiarizing myself with the VectorWorks board.  I quickly created an account as a last ditch effort yesterday to try to solve my expert mouse issue.  I'm on OS 10.11.6, VW 2017 and Trackball Works 1.3.0.  I just updated my OS and Trackball works after this problem started.

Restarting was the first thing I tried and it help.  Are you familiar with the zoom function that I referred to though?  Holding down both bottom buttons and using the track ball to zoom in and out?  Are you able to walk me through resetting the buttons to function that way?  Kensington tech support told me the function I'm describing never existed :| which is beyond frustrating.  They helped me set up another way to zoom using the control button and scroll wheel but I don't like this at all.  

Unfortunately I am not familiar with being able to use that button combination + trackball to zoom in and out. I just checked the button combination options for "applications" in the TrackballWorks preferences and found no mention of zoom. In any case I will look into upgrading my TrackballWorks to 3.0 and see what happens!

If you set the bottom two buttons to "auto scroll" which is under more/navigation.  You can hold them down while moving the trackball to zoom in and out.  By far, my favorite way to zoom.  I am SOOO happy I went through the settings once more and I found it.  The mystery command that two Kensington tech support people said didn't exist :D  

• Like 2

I'm glad to find this thread, I am not the only one with this problem.

I did contact Kensington Support twice via email but they haven't answer yet.

Here is the Kensington Expert Mouse use on a macOS Sierra.

Since 19 May 2017 (after update to macOS 10.12.5), suddenly the mouse doesn't work perfect, the scroll drive is still scrolling, but does result on the screen, it does not scroll anymore.

Hello iEscape, I don't know if I can add much to what  has already been said so, if you haven't already, upgrade to the latest version of MouseWorks (1.3.0 I believe) would a first step. 

Regarding my earlier post, rather than restarting the computer to escape odd Expert Mouse behavior, I now just unplug/replug the USB cable. Immediately corrected my problem. Perhaps analogous to whacking a stuck starter motor with a wrench. 9_9

Hello RGyori,

Thank you for your response.

I've indeed upgraded the Kensington mouse driver, but that update was from April 2017 and the upgrade to macOS Sierra has happened in May, and soon HighSierra is coming.

I have contact with the store where I bought the mouse. The 2-year warranty is over.

But the warranty on Kensington's website is 5 years.

I also told the relevant store that the Kensington mouse does not work with the latest Windows 10 Creators update, and soon Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is coming.

The relevant store will contact Kensington for a driver upgrade  'again', and will keep me informed.

Hi All, 

So suddenly the zoom function on my  expert mouse stopped working yesterday.  To recap, I was able to hold down the two lower buttons while moving the track ball to zoom in and out.  I just updated to the latest Kensington Trackball works software and can't seem to get that function back.  I have not called Kensington yet but they were'nt very helpful  two years ago.  Anyone else, performing the zoom function like that in VectorWorks and what settings did you use?  Or, how else do you zoom with your expert mouse or otherwise?

I just tried the zoom tool in VectorWorks, which I have never used.  I've only ever relied on the mouse for zooming.  The zoom tool is similar, will just take some getting used to.  Still wondering if anyone had any luck configuring the expert mouse to zoom.

I upgraded to MAC OS 10:15:3 Catalina and started having problems with my Expert Mouse being too sluggish to register a click, so that I couldn't select text from the beginning to the end of a sentence. When I upgraded the trackball software, I panicked because it looked like I no longer had options for zoom-scrolling- which is mandatory for us low vision folks. Then I realized that these functions are in the OS under System Preferences>Accessibility>Zoom. Whew! Problem solved. I can assign whatever moderator key I want to activate zoom-scrolling.

I used to have MAC OS 10.13 High Sierra on my computer and my Kensington wireless Expert Mouse worked absolutely fine, but now that I upgraded to Catalina 10.15 I started to have problems with the left click especially, for instance when I click on something, it sometimes holds and drags whatever item I'm selecting instead of being only 1 click. Has anybody had this problem too? and more important, any fixes to this? Thank you!