two lot property - three file workflow

short story - i'm working on two houses on two different lots... lets call them 111 fake st and 112 fake street . i have to create 3 sets of drawing...

1. 111 fake street set

2. 112 fake street set

3. 111+112 fake street set

What i've been doing for the combined set (111+112) is to import the layers from 111 and 112. However, whenever my manager tells me to change one thing, i find myself doing the same task multiple of times since the property appears on at least two sets of drawings. (or i end up deleting layers and reimporting them again as new layers... then i have to tweak my viewport visibility settings and what not).... needless to say, it becomes VERY VERY VERY time consuming and cumbersome...

Is there a xref method to this where you can reference another VW file?

Or perhaps you have a better method of going about this in an efficient manner, i'd love to hear it.

I've tried to describe the problem as best i could but if there's anything that's unclear, let me know.

Thanks!

I successfully imported the viewports that has the floor plans. However, now i'm running into the problem with cutting sections and showing elevations.

Though these imported floor plan viewports display the 3d geometry in the design layer. Making a viewport of the referenced viewports does not display the 3-d geometry in the sheet layers. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 4.43.48 PM.png

edit: restarting VW might have solved the problem. I have no idea why VW was doing what it was doing before..

Edited by wingchudesign

@bcd or any one else. I'm continuing on in this process but I still a question:

I have my model as a referenced viewport in place

1. I'm making a viewport for my elevation but stuff like dimension shows on my viewport even though planar objects are turned off. Now, i can't necessarily turn off the dimension for my referenced viewport because I need these dimensions on my plan. However, turning off the dimension for this particular viewport doesn't do anything because i'm not modifying the visibility of the referenced viewport 

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 10.16.03 AM.png

is there a work around to getting ride of the red lines (dimension) as it shows here in the elevation?

Edited by wingchudesign
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, wingchudesign said:

@nrkuhlthe thing about this is I can't, one the one hand, i need these dimensions to show on the floor plans.

if i turned them off, the floor plan won't have dimension

but if i turn them on, these dimension will show on the elevations.

Perhaps i need to turn them off and add them in the actual model.

Unless I misunderstand what you're looking for, you can control the class visibilities of the viewports separately via the Object Info palette as nrkhul describes. You do not need to use the global visibility settings for everything. Elevation viewports and plan viewports very commonly have completely different visibility settings.

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

dlvp.jpg.d23a6c28f6eae99d294f1d47dac22414.jpg

Select the referenced Design Layer Viewport and click the Classes button in the OIP. Then check the box. This will make all class visibilities with the viewport react the same way everything else in the file does.

If the embedded classes don't exist in your master file, you can Import them from the other file by creating a new class, but then switching to the second option "Import".

import.jpg.38911284f89a42dfc4c75fe28746ece7.jpg

Note this just brings in the class definitions, not any objects.

• Like 2