Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Updating networks

RickR

Time for me to update some of my small projects. I've been limping along with what I did in 2016, so I haven't taken real advantage of the cool rework in 2017.

Is there a way to bulk replace nodes existing networks with new versions?

Since nodes can be edited in place they aren't truly referenced resources. Importing new versions doesn't change anything. I'm envisioning something like the symbol replacement function, but I can't seem to find a way to do that trick.  Right now I'm thinking that rebuilding it from scratch (next to v1.0 for comparison) is the best way to go.

Ideas?

You sent a list of parameter calls for Softgoods objects when I started my biggest project. That PIO has undergone some rework for 2017. Can you send a revised copy?

For that matter a list of changed nodes (ongoing version to version) might be useful. A note as to a rework or a minor update would be fantastic. The question to answer is do I need to update a node and if so what's changed? I'll be someone on the development team has such a list even if you don't!

• Marionette Maven

I can try to generate a list for you.

As for changed nodes, unfortunately there isn't a list of changes from 2016 to 2017. We didn't have the capability to save the script as a text file back then, and there is no way to see changes in binary files.

I work directly on the Marionette content, so it's unlikely you'll find anyone with a list that I don't have, at least on the official level. I can say that not too many things were changed from 2016 to 2017 nodewise, and anything that was changed wouldn't likely affect your networks. The most important thing is that the Mirror node works in 2017 when it did not in 2016.

Moving forward, it WILL be possible to see the changes made between versions since scripts are now being stored externally as python files. When updated, they are also being tagged with comments saying which date they were modified, and sometimes if a big change is made, there will also be a comment in the script noting what it was.

I just re-found Pat's "Worksheet from PIOs" script. That got the field data I need, I should have recalled that handy thing.

I have found some oddities with Linear Array and Mirror nodes. While the array function worked before, it did show some strangeness and doesn't seem to be in the current libraries. Details are noted in the file.

It's looking like my 'current' origin is somehow moving around, at least that would be one explanation for the Mirror oddities.

Traveler_with_stacking_v2.vwx