Vector script to Python then Marionette

@Pat StanfordHi seems you (we) have more options available through vectorscript than Marionette at present. As it's easy to convert VS to Python what do you think of going down this path in creating powerful Marionette nodes?

There is currently limited information from Vectorworks Developer when creating new nodes, but havent explored this possibility of writing the VS code and converting to Python and then the node.

Food for thought.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Certainly sounds do able. The biggest problem will be with finding enough time to do it right.

I am pretty much a hack. I program quick and dirty to accomplish specific tasks. I would think that for Marionette nodes you would want to do much more error checking to prevent bad inputs/outputs than I normally do.

I think the best option for creating new nodes is to not do it. Instead find the node that is closest to what you want (either in terms of function or number/type of IO) and use that as the base and just change the code inside that needs to be changed.

@DomCmight be a better person to work with on Nodes. I know he has already done some.

What are you thinking of as a first test?  

• Marionette Maven

Hey Alan,

Currently when I create new nodes for Marionette I often use the Python version of the Vectorscript calls, as you're thinking. Pat's feedback about error handling is very important, though. Right now, since you can wire a node to any other type of node, it's really important to check that the type of data is compatible with what function you are using. A lot of nodes handle this now, or at least have been tested to be sure that it won't crash Vectorworks if a user were to wire the wrong thing to it. 

I also agree with Pat on his suggestion to modify the guts of existing nodes so that you don't start from scratch. When I went through every node this past spring for testing/fixes, it was very apparent that they were created that way as well. Many nodes have the same variable structure inside to simplify the creation process. This will eliminate some of the time it will take to implement a new function. 

I would also like to suggest that if you want to see some sort of functionality in our shipping content that you post a request for it somewhere on the forum. I'm working really hard to get some new things in for 2018, but the approval process takes time, so the sooner I know, the more likely I can slip it in. 

Another thing I want to point out - not all of the functions available on the Vectorscript wiki are compatible with Marionette, and some of the ones that do work may not work as you anticipate. I actually had to go through and remove/modify a handful of nodes because they were written with outdated Vectorscript calls and slipped through the cracks during early implementation stages. 

All in all, if at any time you have any problems, I'm here to help. I'm very well versed at this point as to what can and cannot be done with Vectorscript in Marionette. 

• Like 3