Extrude Along Path Tool - Need to allow 3D Polygon as path

brian-rwc

Question

I wish a 3D Polygon could be used as path for the Extrude Along Path command. Converting to NURB is not convenient when you have to add a vertex. I would normally think a 3D Polygon would be one's first choice for a path object.

In general I think the Extrude Along Patch command is in need of significant upgrades. It shouldn't have to require so much trial and error just to get a profile object in correct relation to it's path. Using this tool seems very hit or miss. When you think you have something figured out you get alerts about "invalid geometry" or whatever and your only options are to either delete everything or keep trying to figure out what the problem is.

From the very limited description provided in the user guides you would think this would be an easy to use tool. Instead you have to figure out the hard way after exhausting lots of time there are plenty of constraints and invalid options to deal with. As a first step I hope Vectorworks can provide more clarity and help explain all the numerous limitations on the use of that tool.

1 answer to this question

9 hours ago, brian-rwc said:

I wish a 3D Polygon could be used as path for the Extrude Along Path command. Converting to NURB is not convenient when you have to add a vertex. I would normally think a 3D Polygon would be one's first choice for a path object.

I think Extrude Along Path should be non-destructive to the path object and retain any standard shape (rectangle, circle, 2D/3D polygon, 2D/3D polyline, oval etc.) in its original form as the path object.

(Personally I would always choose NURBS over 3D polygons but that's another discussion.)

Kevin