Open GL Redraw issue

markdd

Question

There is something odd about the way Open GL behaves when a texture (with the colour shader set to Obj Attribute) will not redraw when the fill colour of the object has been changed. Fast Renderworks and Final quality Renderworks work as expected but Open GL stubbornly refuses to change. Is there something about how VW uses a cache to redraw items, and if so, is there a way to ignore the cache.

Enclosed is a file with a simple mesh texture with an extrude as well as a generic solid.

Hoping someone can explain whats going on!

Mark

Mesh texture.vwx

3 answers to this question

@markdd- fyi, I opened your file in v2017 and confirm that the textures behave as you reported.  I tried some things to make the OGL respond to changes in object color to no avail. Maybe others have better luck. I edited the texture and adjusted and toggled on/off the image and bump. I also toggled/adjusted the attributes (ByClass or not) and the class settings including the Other render tab in the class definition.  I also tried importing the texture to a new blank document and applying the texture to a new object.

A couple workarounds for color of the image mask textures:

•Change the texture>Color shader from Object Color to Color.  Adjust the color in the texture.  Several downsides here: every object with the texture will take the new color.  A new texture would be needed for each color if different objects will need the same mesh but with different colors.  Also, I seem to remember some OGL problems with multiple image mask textures in same render. OGL only allows one color? Or the most recently created object controls the color of all of them?  Have to test that, it's been a while.

• Use a bunch of separate textures with Color rather than Object Atribute (MeshRed, MeshBlue, etc) as above and create some corresponding class definitions. Control the rendered colors for all the objects in a class by changing the Render>Other Tab> choose a texture with desired color. Or select all the objects in a class and switch them to a class with the preferred texture color.  Probably similar downsides as above, but might be easier to control colors in DL or SLVP renders.

Sorry no solution to the problem.

-B 

Edited by Benson Shaw
niggles
  • Like 1

I have found the solution. Change the colour shader to image, use the same image as the transparency shader, then use the colour attribute option. That works!

The reason for needing to use the object attribute setting is exactly as you describe. I want to set some different class attributes in sheet layer viewports and this method seems to be a good use of that technique.

This would appear to be a minor bug which has used up an hour or so of time to find a solution to which is annoying. 

• Like 1

Yes. Works! I did have to invert the transparency. Strange that OGL requires the color shader as image, while RW is ok with just object attribute.  Anyway, a more robust, predictable texture now. I will have to modify my perf metal textures.  Thanks for showing the way!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw