Limitations with DTMs

seeIT

[Confused] Limitations with DTMs

Mac G4 / 533 MHz / RAM 640mb/ Mac 0S9 & OSX

Could some one tell me if VWlandmark 9.5 or VW Architect 9.5 have limitations with their DMT capabilities. I have been trying to create a DTM of approx. 800 x500m with 200mm contours.

I have used both the check 3d polygons and Filter the data to reduce the data to the minimum amount, but have been unable to generate a DTM. In desperation I managed to generate a simple model at 1m contours in VW 9.0 this is still very inconsistant that is it seems nearly impossible to modify the base data and regenerate the DTM in the same file with out a crash or error. I have been forced to copy the base information into a new file and use VW 9 to ceate the modified model. I have also been unable to sucssefully use any of the site modifiers which constantly generate errors.

Is VW DTM capable / designed to generate complex models or world I be better of trying alternative software?

Another question does the create texture bed comand always generate a flat surface or can it change the properties of a of a part of the DTM ie changes in surface, ie grass to soil

Regards,

SeeIT [Mad]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Site modeling is one area of the program that we're constantly working on to improve, especially in the reliability and error checking areas. If you would send me your file via email to:

randerson@nemetschek.net

I will be glad to tell you how it works in VWL 10, and maybe can give you some tips on arranging your data.

• 3 months later...

How many DTM points do you have? I have found that the fewer points the DTM has, the better/faster VW seems to work. I have taken to building my own set of points on a seperate layer from the imported topo then trash the imported topo prior to making a DTM. I usally save several versions of the point set - as just the point sets.

I have found the cut and fill to be...fussy. (It did not really work in VW8.5.2) with DTM's in general some of the contours when converted to a mesh or surface do not always turn out the way I would like. I generally edit the result several times.

I add grass etc. with Renderworks, then bring the finished model into Photoshop & or Painter to "touch it up".