Visibility Tool - Option to Ignore "None" Class

Andy Broomell

Question

I often use the Visibility Tool (hotkey "V") to quickly turn off a class by clicking on an object which is on that class. It's an easy, interactive way to hide things I don't want to see.

As you hover over an object with this tool, it preview highlights in red all the objects on that same class. If I have a large, complicated file, there are bound to be many things on the None class, and if I happen to hover over something on the None, the tool stalls for a while as it tries to interactively highlight every single object on the None class, including things inside groups & symbols. It then stalls a while longer as it tries to de-highlight everything upon moving the cursor away. Because of this, the Visibility tool essentially becomes unusable in large complex files (which ironically is when it's the most useful).

It'd be great to have the option for this tool to ignore the None class, because not only is the stalling quite disruptive (and looks bad when in the middle of screen sharing), but I never intend turn off the None class in the first place. I don't want to accidentally turn it off with the Visibility tool.

There's already a settings button for this tool - so this improvement could simply be a checkbox added in that pop-up which says "Ignore None class".

Edited by Andy Broomell
wording

5 answers to this question

On 5/17/2017 at 7:35 PM, Andy Broomell said:

There's already a settings button for this tool - so this improvement could simply be a checkbox added in that pop-up which says "Ignore None class".

Agreed Andy, but it might be better as a dropdown menu. We use A-None in place of None, so we'd need a way for VW to know that.

• Like 1