Brick header and decorative window lintels

Christiaan

Question

9 answers to this question

Missed this back in May, the absence of proper control of the lintel extensions makes it really awkward to use the Window and Door PIOs, we normally use Windoor. It is surprising that there is a presumption that the overhang should match the lintel height, in our experience it rarely does.

• Like 2

Giving this one a bump. A workaround is to use a hybrid symbol but wall inserts placed in the same place as a window/door currently cause a problem with the new Wall Closure feature.

Seems like it wouldn't take much for the window/door tools to support this. The main stumbling block is that the lintel settings don't account for the shim gaps.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 hours ago, Christiaan said:

A workaround is to use a hybrid symbol but wall inserts placed in the same place as a window/door currently cause a problem with the new Wall Closure feature.

If your lintel/sill symbols have geometry in the wall hole component, make sure to select that geometry and select "Ignore Closure".  That will tell the wall to clip it from the wall rather than try to apply closure profiles and wrapping.

• Like 2
On 3/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, Christiaan said:

A workaround is to use a hybrid symbol but wall inserts placed in the same place as a window/door currently cause a problem with the new Wall Closure feature

The most straight forward work around is to use Windoor which allows more control of this. I do wonder what led to the 2 dimensions being one parameter, is this a ‘normal’ thing somewhere?

On 3/18/2022 at 1:20 PM, Matt Panzer said:

If your lintel/sill symbols have geometry in the wall hole component, make sure to select that geometry and select "Ignore Closure".  That will tell the wall to clip it from the wall rather than try to apply closure profiles and wrapping.

@Matt Panzer the bug I'm talking about is, 1. the wrapped component stops showing on one side (and also 2. where component lines cross over the wrapped component). Checking "Ignore Closure" doesn't affect these bugs. (VB-184898)

688230422_Screenshot2022-03-21at08_13_33.thumb.png.a7c67a4a5d6d14966b72593022ca8063.png

14 hours ago, ColinW said:

The most straight forward work around is to use Windoor which allows more control of this. I do wonder what led to the 2 dimensions being one parameter, is this a ‘normal’ thing somewhere?

I have considered this but I'm reluctant, because they're not supported by the (future) Graphic Legends feature. Which means when I come to do a window schedule on my next project I won't be able to automate it with the Graphic Legends feature.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Christiaan said:

@Matt Panzer the bug I'm talking about is, 1. the wrapped component stops showing on one side (and also 2. where component lines cross over the wrapped component). Checking "Ignore Closure" doesn't affect these bugs. (VB-184898)

688230422_Screenshot2022-03-21at08_13_33.thumb.png.a7c67a4a5d6d14966b72593022ca8063.png

Ah yes.  You're right.  That's still an issue but it is being looked at and is high priority.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I have considered this but I'm reluctant, because they're not supported by the (future) Graphic Legends feature. Which means when I come to do a window schedule on my next project I won't be able to automate it with the Graphic Legends feature.

That’s disappointing, the Graphic Legends feature shows great promise