Would like to see this working with VW

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Is the 48 hour turnaround because they actually have a human looking it over and modeling it? That time seems a bit odd for just a server operation unless theyre keeping costs low.

To clarify; I find this fascinating and cool, just wondering about the odd details.

19 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Their website says the following regarding the precision of the scanning hardware device:

0.14% at 40cm, 1% at 1m

Structure Sensor precision

So not ready for AEC yet. I was hopeful about an number of apps, but they still don't compare to a tape & a notebook &/or a laser device. Someday, but I may out of the biz by then.

I think that if the 1% level of precision at three feet holds for distances beyond that, it could easily be reasonably suitable for most residential projects. A fifteen-foot room dimension would read +/- 1.8 inches, and that is well within the error margin for most manual measurements with tape. Not ideal, and a laser scan would obviously be far more accurate, but good enough for many jobs, especially if backed up with occasional manual measurements.

My issue with this is that it would be hard to transfer the cost of the equipment and the service to clients for payment. At the moment, I can hire someone to do as-builts, and then charge for it as a discrete reimbursable, similar to printing at a bureau. In the past, when I printed using my own plotter, I had difficulty getting reimbursed for that, and now bureau printing is an explicit–and less expensive–reimbursable.

Edited by DanJansenson
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, JimW said:

Is the 48 hour turnaround because they actually have a human looking it over and modeling it? That time seems a bit odd for just a server operation unless theyre keeping costs low.

22 hours ago, barkest said:

I thought the same. A small army of CAD Elves maybe?

Apparently, yes - in this blog article over on the SketchUp blog, they say the following:

This “last mile” of CAD is really hard to automate, which is why we have a human in the loop to ensure the results are always professional-grade and design-ready.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

I would tend to work more accurately than 2" in 15 ft.  But that's probably just me.

Perhaps all in good time. 

The cost of these "website generated" drawings could be the driver.

So some machine is going to interpret nuances in elevations or variables in wall thickness.  Old school processes might prevail for a while.

bc

3 hours ago, rDesign said:

This “last mile” of CAD is really hard to automate, which is why we have a human in the loop to ensure the results are always professional-grade and design-ready.

I was sure elves were involved (one scan to rule them all)