Worksheet sort

In VW2016 I created a simple worksheet of objects. Each object has a unique number that may be "123" or "R123" with the numerals "123" representing any of the 1,000 combinations of three digits. These numbers are in the first column. The second column simply has the name of the objects. I was given a list of objects that was not in order, thinking I'd just enter them as listed and I'd sort them once they were in the worksheet. I figured there would be, I don't know, a "Sort" command. Well, I think there is a sort icon, but it is grayed out. So my question is, why does this version of VectorWorks have light gray dummy icons that seem to do nothing? No matter what I do, it will not sort. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks,

MHBrown

Those icons are there for sorting and SUMming database subrows.

How many rows are you talking about needing to sort?  It is possible to write a script that will do the sort. If it is just a few rows, then the sort algorithm won't really matter. If it is hundreds or more, then the algorithm selected will make a major difference.

Is all the data to be sorted manually entered? Or are some of the values calculated? If they are calculated, are the rows entirely self contained or do they reference data somewhere else in the worksheet? Or in another worksheet?

I will try to make some time this week to come up with a sort command for you. Just let me know a little more about what you really need done.

Thanks for the help, Pat. It is the most simple of spreadsheets. The first column has about 100 numerals (some have initial letters, i.e. "R915"). The second column has the names of the objects that correspond to the numeral. For example: "456 Shoe" would have "456" in the first column and "Shoe" in the second column, but both in the same row. It's just like an Excel spread sheet. I want to put them all in numerical order, so it is a simple numerical sort by the first column. It does not get any simpler, nor more fundamental. My workaround is to do it in Excel and copy/past into the VW sheet. That works OK. I don't really think a script should have to be written for something this basic or is this VW worksheet for something other than what I thought it was for?

MHBrown

4 hours ago, MHBrown said:

I don't really think a script should have to be written for something this basic or is this VW worksheet for something other than what I thought it was for?

A little of both.  The main function of the worksheet is not to provide all of the list handling functionality of Excel, but more to allow accessing data about objects in the drawing. This can be done on a kind of combined basis in spreadsheet cells [=Area((T=Rectangle))] or on an individual (or SUMmed) basis using a database [Database Criteria T=Rectangle;  Function =Area]

There have been rumblings about greatly enhancing the worksheet for a long time, but it hasn't happened yet.

In your preferred sort, do letters come before or after numbers?  Are Capital and Lowercase equivalent (does not matter which and they all just stay in their initial order), Stacked (Capital A before lowercase a) or ASCII  (ABCD.... before abcd...)

I am sure you are not the only one who would like to have a sort, so I will probably work on it anyway.