how to Distort objects in version 2017? like the Distort function in Photoshop

Hi experts,

I am going to make a pseudoscopic view of the scenery. but I don't know how to make my detailed architecture to be distorted at the same time. (in other words, I am looking for the same function of Distortion in photoshop. Does anyone know the VW have this function or not?.

thank you very  much! 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out "sketch" styles in the help file. Makes lines seem like they were sketched using an ink pen. You can also make changes to transparency to change the lines to seem like pencil. 

You have a bunch of settings to make the lines more or less rough/sketchy, etc. 

Hth, Scott

On 5/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, QUVW said:

Hi experts,

I am going to make a pseudoscopic view of the scenery. but I don't know how to make my detailed architecture to be distorted at the same time. (in other words, I am looking for the same function of Distortion in photoshop. Does anyone know the VW have this function or not?.

thank you very  much! 

A pseudoscope is a binocular optical instrument that reverses depth perception. It is used to study human stereoscopic perception. Objects viewed through it appear inside out, for example: a box on a floor would appear as a box shaped hole in the floor.
  • Like 1

So the instrument essentially swaps the view of the left eye and right eye, leading to reversed depth perception. Fascinating!

I guess I'm still confused about what a pseudoscopic image looks like on a computer screen, and what exactly you're trying to to accomplish in Vectorworks. Do you have something you've done in Photoshop that you could show us as an example?

By the way, in Photoshop, are you referring to Distortion filters such as Ripple and Twirl? Or do you mean Transform<Distort which allows you to move the four corners of a selection independently?

On 5/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, QUVW said:

I think it's safe to say that - no - Vw does not have a 'pseudoscopic' function (nor does any other CAD / BIM software that I am aware of). 

If you can do this in Photoshop, then you should just export image views of your scenery from Vw into Photoshop and manipulate them there.

I am soooooo sorry about my poor English and my really poor digital dictionary! O.o

Sorry to confuse you guys.:$ In other words I am going to do the faked perspective on the stage. Looks like the 3D, but actually is 2D image on one piece of the scenery. 

I got a answer from my old colleague, VW has no this function at all. But Adobe AI have it. The image I upload is done by VW first, and distorted by AI.  

Thank you very much for all of you guys replies!!! :x

Snip20170524_2.png.df86e692225542a41aa9c35da210c279.png

Snip20170524_1.png

Oh! Those images help very much, thank you. I've typically heard this referred to as "Forced perspective". As stated above, there's unfortunately no equivalent of Transform<Distort in Vectorworks (outside of reshaping a single polygon). This would be a great Wishlist item though. I know on occasion I've wanted to take a group and skew/distort its shape, but in VW you can currently only stretch and scale. 

8 hours ago, mjm said:

ironically, I'd probably solve for this by drawing the item in 3d, setting the camera and view to suite then turning that into aPDF or raster image. Or: flatten it as a 2D graphic.

Yes, you are right. Just because my computer 3D skill is very limited, I used to spend time on physical model making...Anyway, I know I need to sit down and take a time to familiar with VW 3D. Thank you very much for reminding me .

7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

That's a great approach as well! It's how I achieved the linework for the following theatrical hard drop, which was completely flat with CNC cutouts, and the rest painted - all which helped achieve the sense of the rounded gazebo.

Gift-Lines.png.f3df7a29fa4ea79d24a4dea6eb89d3e7.png

After modeling the architecture in 3D, I figured out the correct POV, selected everything, and Converted Copy to Lines (keeping the original 3D in tact for changes as they came along). Then I was able to clean up and modify the 2D linework as needed (such as manually widening and straightening the segment with the stairs).

Here's the color elevation, painted in Photoshop:

andy-broomell-harem-wall-drop-color-elevation-rendering-vectorworks-photoshop-scenic-design-cruise-ship-previs-scenery-cnc.png.b51d6e28994052463f926132ae0eca8e.png

(areas of white were cut out, allowing you to see through to an upstage printed drop of a landscape).

Copyright production designers Gerry Hariton and Vicki Baral, and Royal Caribbean Productions.

This is beautiful! Thank you very much! I do need to practice my 3D skills. :)

• 3 years later...