Question about Gobos

I am curious as to what sets the physical placement of the "gobo geometry" in a lighting Instrument?  I added a gobo to a very small fixture (GLP X4S) and the gobo geometry sits about 18" out in front of the lighting fixture.  This is a custom symbol and not a VW Spotlight symbol.  In creating symbols, I am not aware of any step or steps that are used to determine that location so I suppose my assumption is the geometry is placed automatically in a fixed location from the light source?  Just curious.  

All of the above is correct, but I am still not entirely sure how the gobo geometry gets placed. I suppose there is a default distance from the actual light object as created by a subscript of some sort. If that is the case, my assumption is that the geometry is placed at a specific distance from the light source. In the instance mentioned in my opening post, the geometry was pretty far out. Curious as to why. 

Thanks.