Selecting objects with selected objects (for GIS selection)

Dear fellow VW users,

is there any way to select polygons or lines with selected polygons or lines? I mean for example if i have 10 squares in a line next to each other and i have another polygon all above them i want to select the squares only by clicking on the top drawn polygon. Is there any way to do this without selecting all of them?

I want to use VW for some GIS work...making buffer "zones" (polygons) and with these i want to select other polygons (sometimes couple thousand)...it would be another good thing to make a filter such as "this polygon touches the other or intersect or fully contain others..." Similar to ArcGIS or qGIS functions.

Any idea? Or plug-in? 

Thanks for the ideas and help!

Zoltan

buffer_qgis.png

select with poly.png

result.png

That's a great question.

Tools > Custom Selection… will get you part of the way there. 

Give the area polyline or polygon a name.  Then run Tools>Custom Selection and use the criterion Location = [name of polygon].  That will get you everything that is entirely within the location poly, but not objects that are only partially contained.

But there must be a way.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, michaelk said:

That's a great question.

Tools > Custom Selection… will get you part of the way there. 

Give the area polyline or polygon a name.  Then run Tools>Custom Selection and use the criterion Location = [name of polygon].  That will get you everything that is entirely within the location poly, but not objects that are only partially contained.

But there must be a way.

Custom selection is not good when i want to select polys touched by one poly...because they have different names (given by a shape file and database) and usually there are couple thousand that i want to select this way.