Send Objects to Surface...works sometimes, but not always

ericjhberg

Question

We often work with site models to visualize projects and there has always been an issue with sending items to the surface. Sometimes it works and other times, no matter what I try, it doesn't

Curious if anyone has determined best practices for this or experienced the same issue and have a work around?

16 answers to this question

Sharing the pain, maybe a workaround, but no real solution:

Send to Surface usually works for me. Sometimes, sending multiple objects contained in a Group, eg a group of custom tree symbols, placed on the ground plane, results in some of the trees making it to the correct elevations on the DTM, while other instances stay on the layer plane. Try again later - every item in the group will send to proper grades.

One thing I noticed is that these fails occur more often if a projector has been cabled to the CPU for an hour or so (Y'know, for a demo to an eager group of vwx explorers).  System and projector restart seem to get Send to Surface and other things working again.  Maybe multiple monitors/projectors start a slow crash?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
better phrasing
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Send to Surface usually works for me. Sometimes, sending multiple objects contained in a Group, eg a group of custom tree symbols, placed on the ground plane, results in some of the trees making it to the correct elevations on the DTM, while other instances stay on the layer plane. Try again later - every item in the group will send to proper grades

I've definitely noticed the problems with sending groups to surface, so I try to ungroup everything prior. Doesn't mean it will work though, as I have learned.

The CPU thing is interesting since graphics processing shouldn't have any affect on a process working or not, but it may have something to do with crashes.

I am also wondering if this is somehow tied to another random phenomena that I have noticed...

When using the stake tool on a site model to identify spot elevations, sometimes I will get a return of 0 immediately adjacent to a correct value set to the surface?

It is almost like there are holes of data missing within the site model that don't register in the send to surface command or in the stake object command?

I should note that the surface of the site model appears correctly, no holes.

Edited by ericjhberg
  • Like 1

I appreciate this is an old post, but in case is of any help to anyone finding this, layers can make a difference.

Despite having 'Show/Snap/Modify Others' as Layer Option, if I try to send to surface a mass model/landscape area from the  'Design' layer to the 'Site Model' layer, nothing happens. However if I change the layer of the mass model first, in the object palette, to 'Site Model' and then send it to surface, it does work. The 'Site model' layer also has to be selected as Active layer. Regardless of the 'Show/Snap/Modify Others' option.

Edited by NoemiM
  • Like 4
On 8/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, NoemiM said:

I appreciate this is an old post, but in case is of any help to anyone finding this, layers can make a difference.

Despite having 'Show/Snap/Modify Others' as Layer Option, if I try to send to surface a mass model/landscape area from the  'Design' layer to the 'Site Model' layer, nothing happens. However if I change the layer of the mass model first, in the object palette, to 'Site Model' and then send it to surface, it does work. The 'Site model' layer also has to be selected as Active layer. Regardless of the 'Show/Snap/Modify Others' option.

That's brillain Noemi. I realised that the Send to Surface dialogue box wasn't popping up as the "active layer" wasn't the same as the Modifier's layer. Mystery solved  - thanks a mill!